Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New here, just uploaded 3 photos of Alma, CA

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thanks Joel, I'm blushing.

Grey3K, I've been poking through your albums & they are stirring up lots of old memories. I used to live in Milpitas & explore all around Sunol (the original old west bldgs before the fire), Niles canyon, the water temple, through Livermore to the Altamont pass & slake my thirst at mountain house, there were always other bikes there. A great waay to spend a day on the hurricane deck of a Limey boneshaker. I guess it's all burbs for those that work in Sillycon valley & love a 5 hour commute now.

I lived on Skyline near the top of Black road in 70-71, when you could drive to Santa Cruz in 20 minutes & park yer car too! I'm sure it's all built up now. I've always loved those mountains, except for the poison oak.

If you are interested in another book try "Up & down California, the journal of William K Brewer."
    He led the USGS survey team. From Carmel to Santa Cruz, over Black mountain to the New Almaden mines. He leaves very ineresting descriptions of San Jose, the sulphur springs (Alum rock park now) Alviso & up to SF. Many of the same places you have photo journaled. All this in 1860-1864. The 4th edition has the origonal maps.

You should contact the admin to see about adding your photos to the the Lex & Alma entries on the main website. It will never be better documented than you have done. Glad I could help a little.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 08-03-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    OK to add to this can you solve the mystery of the 2 giant stone lions guarding the road on the right of hiwy 17 heading from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz. Back when I was a teen and after the Navy it was said to be an Albino Community and they were very inhospital. Supposedly people have disappeared up there.
    I wonder if the albino rumours started because of the close proximity of the Lupin nudest colony. Those folks may be pasty but I doubt they are cannibals.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Thanks Joel, I'm blushing.

You should contact the admin to see about adding your photos to the the Lex & Alma entries on the main website. It will never be better documented than you have done. Glad I could help a little.

<
    The website is welcome to use any of my photos, There are photos of English town too ( really my first ghost town, although distantly related to New Almaden
    this is a snazzy signature...

Just fumbled across this interesting shot. From the Essanay film Co. 1910 or 1911 in Alma, CA. This cast shot taken during the filming of "The two reformations". They used several northern CA locations before they settled in Niles, CA, (today part of Fremont). Niles is also where the early Chaplin films were made. Wallace Beery got his start in film there.

This was the studio that made the "Bronco Billy" silents. Huge hits in their day. 1/2 of Gilbert M Anderson, (Bronco Billy) is at far right in polka dot tie.

[/IMG]

The building is the train station with the Alma sign on the side.

<

Thread Information