Thread: Monte Cristo

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Monte Cristo

Went to Monte Cristo Sunday with my Daughter and talk about changes from the floods of '07. The road was washed out every place along the river...needless to say the bridge was just GONE. But the water only came up to the knee and was not very strong so everyone was able to cross.
    We took our time getting into Monte Cristo, climbing over fallen trees/debris (landslides) and taking lots of pics along the way. Some of the erosion opened new things to see like a section of the old railroad tracks of the Monte Cristo/Everett railway (circa 1890ís) and new trails to take since the old ones were washed away.
    We arrived to find a few things were added to the town like picnic tables and the clearing of some of the trails within the town (what use to be streets). Also, a restoration project is in effect to restore some of the old buildings that are left (done by the forest service and community volunteers).
    We found seven or eight old houses, lots of remains where buildings once stood, a railroad turn table, and lots of old mining equipment laying about.
    We packed lunch of sandwiches and juice which we ate there at the town. Plenty of deerflies to contend with as well, but all in all, a splendid trip none the less.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Sounds nice. What state is this in?
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Sorry...my~bad, Washington State in Snohomish County off of Highway 92 above Granite Falls.

I LOVE Monte Cristo! I"ve been meaning to get back up there and see it! last time I went there was around 2003.... it's been way too long. sounds like you had a fun adventure, I'm glad.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Now that I've seen Lester I'd like to see Monte Cristo next time I visit the area. I understand this requires a hike, what it it, about four miles? Where do you go to get to Monte Cristo?

I'm kind of surprised no pictures of Monte Cristo have been posted on the Monte Cristo page.

Tom
    Last edited by Ghostdancer; 08-25-2008 at 05:22 AM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Default Monte Cristo

yes, Monte Cristo is very scenic - shocked there aren't pics up yet. when I went I took a regular film camera... back in '03. so, have pictures but they're printed pics. it's about 4.5 miles up. actually the directions on the town page and the map are pretty reliable - that's how I got there all those years ago.

it's really cool and there is actually a VERY good book titled "Monte Cristo" that I highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_stoddard View Post
    yes, Monte Cristo is very scenic - shocked there aren't pics up yet. when I went I took a regular film camera... back in '03. so, have pictures but they're printed pics. it's about 4.5 miles up. actually the directions on the town page and the map are pretty reliable - that's how I got there all those years ago.

it's really cool and there is actually a VERY good book titled "Monte Cristo" that I highly recommend.
    Is this the book written by Philip R. Woodhouse and Robert L. Wood? I saw this over on amazon.com.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Default book

that's the one!

very fascinating.... but not just about Monte Cristo but how it had an effect upon the whole Northern Puget Sound area - Everett, WA is there because of Monte Cristo. and there are some cool stories about how things go their names..... and an amazing story about a big tree you'll see up there with a plaque on it.... good reading.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_stoddard View Post
    that's the one!

very fascinating.... but not just about Monte Cristo but how it had an effect upon the whole Northern Puget Sound area - Everett, WA is there because of Monte Cristo. and there are some cool stories about how things go their names..... and an amazing story about a big tree you'll see up there with a plaque on it.... good reading.
    I noticed that Phillip Varney has written a book on northwest ghost towns. He lived close by to me in Tucson. His books on Arizona and New Mexico ghost towns have been quite useful to us on all our ghost town trips.

yeah, and he's suppose to be a great source but I bought one of his recently and was very disappointed - although the copyright was 2003(-5ish, I believe), it was a rehash of the same old info from older books and the pics which had the same copyrighted were at least 10 years old.... maybe not all of them, but for sure the pics of the towns I'm familiar with in Oregon. I was disappointed - I wish there was current material. every book, regardless of reprint date and copyright date, seems to be a regurgitation.

Thread Information