Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Pete Kitchen

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Poor Pete Kitchen

If anyone is looking for the historic Pete Kitchen ranch, I can supply directions. It's become a restaurant in Nogales.

"Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The address is 555 East Frontage Road. Don't take the dirt driveway (it's a 4WD nightmare) take the paved one just north of it and circle in. There is suppose to be a museum as well. The hours posted were 11-9, so I missed it. I will be going back soon though. I do love a good Mexican dinner.

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well you titled this post right. I have wondered what the condition of the Kitchen place might be, now I'm a little discouraged. Seems like it should be a ruin slowly melting into the desert floor along with the Wards & Penningtons. I guess I'm glad it is preserved in some fashion. When you return be sure to let us know how the food is. Pete was famous for his hospitality & quality hams.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Well, there are worse fates. McDonald's could have bought it.

H.L. Mencken

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

There might be some cool interior photos once you get inside there.

BTW, I always judge a Mexican restaurant 100% by their Chimichanga, washed down with a Dos Equis. If they don't get that right, then go somewhere else.
    Last edited by campp; 08-31-2008 at 06:06 AM.

I concur. I don't expect bad Mexican food in Nogales though. That would be silly! Those folks would be out of business in an hour!

For those from out of state or who don't know Arizona history, Pete Kitchen came to Arizona in 1854. He was regarded by many as the Daniel Boone of Arizona. From what I have heard, this ranch survived more Apache attacks than any where else in the state.

H.L. Mencken

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wow more sensational shots etc., Joel. Gracias.

You probably mentioned it several times already, but what camera are you using? The clarity is superior, although I realize a steady hand is usually essential. But with some camera mfg, Minolta for one, you can take a picture from a moving vehicle which will turn out nearly perfect. And Minolta will shoot "thru" a store front window instead of producing the usual reflection.

Thanks! I just upgraded from A Sony DSC-H2 to a Sony a350.
    Some d*** tree limb knocked off my shutter button along the San Pedro last week. $18.00 from Sony and I can fix it myself, but the camera is out for a few weeks!

For anyone that tracks digital cameras, it looks like Sony is going up against Canon and Olympus in the DSLR market. Until 2005, thanks to a plant closure, I use to work for Imation. I can tell you first hand that Sony has deep pockets and likes to engage in price wars. Keep your eyes peeled for some real bargins!
    Last edited by Joel; 08-31-2008 at 02:17 PM.

H.L. Mencken

I've got my eye on a canon eos rebel xsi.....12.1 megapixles...... Been wanting one for a long time.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Arizonas Maximus

I think this is a mucho remodeled stronghold. The tile roofed porch is gone but the roofline above that looks about right.

Pete Kitchens "Boothill" in 1964
    The sign in 1964
    The "Stronghold" in 1964
    Pete Kitchen
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Vulture; 01-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information