View Poll Results: Should the map stay up?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 44.44%
  • No

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Google Map "Ghost Towns And Special Places Of Interest In New England "

Default New Google Map "Ghost Towns And Special Places Of Interest In New England "

This post was originally for my map of New England and mysterious places in the region. Due to the concern a lot of members have shared with me I have now deleted the link and made the map "Unlisted". If anyone is looking for any bit of advice around here in New England, contact me personally and ill be sure to help you out. The address is motodrola@aol.com. Cheers!

Andre

Last edited by dremoto; 09-02-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Great Job! That is really cool.

Bear in mind, some people are not going to like your work, as keeping the places' locations secret was once an unwritten rule. (This rule was meant to keep desecraters and thieves away.)

However, these days of GPS maps, internet blogs and available on-demand satellite images means that nothing can be hidden anymore.

So, that rule is out the window.

The new attitude is: let others know about special places so these special places can be protected. If developers, or the federal gov. wants to tear down a place, having hundreds of angry people protesting and writing letters will be many ghost town's only chance at survival.

The wrecking ball is more of a threat than vandalism these days.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I don't know about that. There is going to be a herd of morons descending on those places now. The poor folks that live in those areas are going to think that the gates of stupid were just opened.

Just imagine living half a block away from any of those areas.

BTW: I have spent six years of my life in Germany, four of them in an Allied Occupied City as an USAF Brat. Not all German soldiers in the Wehrmacht were Nazis. You may want to do a tad of research before you go insulting.
    Last edited by Joel; 08-31-2008 at 12:11 PM.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

For the interest of science and history I give the locations to these places. I have always totally respected all places I go to and even pick up trash whenever i see it at a location. I only hope others are as responsible as me. Also I believe that most registered users of this forum are responsible enough to see the signifigance of these sites and not disturb them. Then again, Dudleytown, CT.........we wont go there. Please use my map responsibly. Only after long consideration have I made it public. Thank you.

Andre

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post

BTW: I have spent six years of my life in Germany, four of them in an Allied Occupied City as an USAF Brat. Not all German soldiers in the Wehrmacht were Nazis. You may want to do a tad of research before you go insulting.

What???

Quote Originally Posted by dremoto View Post
    For the interest of science and history I give the locations to these places. I have always totally respected all places I go to and even pick up trash whenever i see it at a location. I only hope others are as responsible as me. Also I believe that most registered users of this forum are responsible enough to see the signifigance of these sites and not disturb them. Then again, Dudleytown, CT.........we wont go there. Please use my map responsibly. Only after long consideration have I made it public. Thank you.

Andre
    Once you make a google map public, if anyone else is searching the general area...they can press a button that bring up a list of maps that other people made, such as your map.

So, once it's public, everybody in the entire world can see it.

However, I wouldn't remove it or make it private, and here's my case and point:

The ghost town of Caribou (sometimes spelled Cariboo) California, was wrecked by the state of California Forest Service, sometime in the 1980s or early 1990's. I had driven past it with my family, on the main highway, and had never had a clue it existed. We drove past it's road turn-off at least 10 times per year on our way to our cabin.

Nobody knew the ghost town was going to be torn down because of the general ignorance about it, and nobody was there to stop it, file legal actions, protest it, or try to get it placed on the National Register of Historic Places when the wrecking ball threat came.
    Now, it's a place-name on a map with weeds and a foundation or two.

GT.com gives the names and states of ghost towns. Anybody who uses GT.com can easily "google search" the name and come up with old maps showing where it was, and go vandalize and loot it.

If people want to argue that maps and directions should never be given out publicly, well, they should be against gt.com existing also, or else be hypocrites.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

What???
    He makes reference to a EX-Nazi POW Camp on his map. The POW Camps in WWII did have actual names. Nor were all inmates of said Camp actual nazis. Sorry, kind of a sore point with me.

I think it's one thing to mention a historic of forgotten place, but another to give exact directions. I've come across quite a few destroyed and opened graveyards. Courtland and Alto have been spray painted by taggers.

As long as so many refuse to show respect for obscure sites, I'd rather that they do their own research and not have a ready map. Nothing is wrong with a vague or general location.

You're right about a lot of places being destroyed by the wrecking ball. I can list quite a few of them myself. But to turn the locations of other sites that haven't been wrecked to thrill seekers is a scary thought too.

I guess that there is no easy answer in this age of total information. Speaking for myself, I'd rather not think that I have helped lead the mindless to a historic site so that they can destroy, loot, collect or otherwise tamper, defile or destroy history.

H.L. Mencken

I try to take into account that most "vandal kids" have high speed internet and google earth and find basically anything they want. I weighed these factors very carefully as well as the point that my map hopes to inform and interest people of the history in their region. To make people aware before its too late. and these sites are mindlessly lumbered and demolished. This was particularly the case in my most recent investigation of the site of the Ram Tail Mill in Rhode Island. I found the site to be intact but logging and clearing is endangering the site right up to its front door well.

For those of you that want to check out the photos from my trips you can at my panoramio site.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1726532

Well, I wish those sites luck. There was a book published here in the '60's that gave fairly detailed instructions for locating ghost towns and historic sites.
    I've heard from the old timers that the result wasn't pretty and that some legal action had the book yanked from sales fairly quickly.
    I understand about corporate destruction. I also understand the mindless. We're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea on this one.

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Here in southern AZ the Tucson paper ran a human interest article on a nearby ghost town, Copper Creek, I think in the early 90's. It included directions & a map. It was in a pretty area & much remained of the town at the time. Within a few years it was destroyed, substantial buildings torn down to the foundations & even the foundations ruined by 4x4'ers trying out their winches.

The only buildings with walls today are the old store & the mine owners (Sibley) house which have stone walls. Only the walls remain as the woodwork was all consumed when the buildings were burned by drunken stoned a$$holes.

The town had remained fairly undisturbed for many years untill the article in the paper.

If you make it known, they will come, no matter how good your intentions are.

Our history is disapearing too fast as it is, don't make it any easier for the numbnuts to find a new place to reak havoc on...

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 09-01-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Well this is the kind of feedback I needed. BTW the poll is tied 1-1 lol. It is hard for me because I myself have feelings for both arguments. I will leave it to the poll if it stays up or not. My only intention was for the good of this forum. As I am a recently new user to this forum but am an experienced explorer I wanted to contribute my findings based on my tireless research done. Maybe this knowledge is best to hold to ones self. Cheers to all comments regarding.

Thread Information