Thread: Silver City South Dakota

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Silver City South Dakota

Originally posted by John Carroll

: Can anyone give me info on a Silver City South Dakota??

: Trying to locate family. Had a relative who died in 1956. I remember "Silver City South Dakota" from my Grandmother-cannot locate in South Dakota- I may Have remembered the wrong State ???

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Silver City South Dakota

Originally posted by Paul J. Nussbaum

: There were a large number of Silver Cities in the history of the old west. Few survive today. But there was indeed one in South Dakota.

: In fact, actually there is a Silver City I, and a II referred to. Silver City I was in Pennington County (ie. Rapid City and surrounding area)at S 1/2, Section 31, T2N-R5E. In an area called by General Custer in 1874 "Elkhorn Prairie".

: The town area is now a resort area at the head of Pactola Lake. The town was on the Black Hills and Western RR. It is about 3 miles west of US 385. The turnoff is about a mile north of Pactola Lake.

: I have not been to Silver City for many, many years, but it used to be a really great ghost town, great buildings, etc. Very probably not as good today, or maybe even gone.

: Silver City II was in Lawrence County and I don't believe much is known about it. Was in the Bald Mountain mining district.

: Hope this helps. E-mail if you need more help.

: PJN

Originally posted by kelly lane

: John Carroll: I don't know if your Silver City questooon ever got answered, but I ran across your query by accident just today. Silver City South Dakota is alive and well. It is at the head of Pactola Lake 25 miles oout of Rapid City South Dakota off of highway 385. There are about 50 buildings there, most summer cabins. Between one and two dozen people live there year-round. Let me know if you want more info.

: Kelly Lane

Originally posted by Terry Hoffman

:
    : : John Carroll: I don't know if your Silver City questooon ever got answered, but I ran across your query by accident just today. Silver City South Dakota is alive and well. It is at the head of Pactola Lake 25 miles oout of Rapid City South Dakota off of highway 385. There are about 50 buildings there, most summer cabins. Between one and two dozen people live there year-round. Let me know if you want more info.

: : Kelly Lane

: Good morning,

: I knew a Kelly Lane is Silver City So Dakota. Her parents owned Silver Mountain Lodge. Same Lane's? My parents own Hill Home, a log cabin across the street from Golden West.

: Paul Nussbaum,

: Hope you found what you were looking for so many years ago.

: Terry Hoffman

Thread Information