Thread: Saguaro East: The Rincons

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Saguaro East: The Rincons

I came across a copy of a map of Saguaro East from the 1930's a few weeks ago. The only problem with the map I have is that it was more concerned about who owned what at the time than the actual locations of the ruins it listed.
    I went out for a few hours today to try to make sense of the old map and today's topo and the maps from the NPS. I had spoken last week with an honored old timer who knew nothing of what was on the map. It was going to be me and trying to line up the maps on foot.
    Not the best of ruins, but I was trying to find locations to match things up rather than to find ruins. Landmarks have changed names, springs and washes have too. This is what kills me about the USGS, nothing has been erected in this quad for decades and so much is missing from the new maps. Maybe next time I can get a few ghosts back from the dead.
    The Freeman Homestead: Don't bother, it's not worth the effort involved. I have two theories about this.
    1-They used a very cheap grade of adobe, but I somehow doubt it.
    2-The collectors, six pack kids and vandals have stomped and collected it into oblivion. I've seen older adobes in far better shape just a few miles away. I really don't think that climatic conditions caused this ruin to vanish into mere slabs.

"Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Old lime kilns. These are still accessible by foot only through the Cactus Forest Trail. I'll gladly give the location of this ruin since nature has thrown up defenders.

I wish the six pack kids many attempts to stomp this into the ground to prove their manhood. Who would have thought Killer Bees would be on the ghosttowner's side?

H.L. Mencken

Not the best of shots, but the closest that I could get. I'm not some perfumed dandy, but rather a chain smoker. I think the bees just didn't like my smell and kept back somewhat.

Once again, I wish the six pack kids much luck on destroying another historic site! I'll be betting the rent on the bees!

H.L. Mencken

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I'll be betting the rent on the bees!
    I think that would be a safe bet too.
    Last winter we drove up to the entrance of a mine, we knew there were bees there but thought we'd be able to explore it since the temperatures were cold. WRONG, the bees were still there and got angry at the intrusion. They chased the Jeep, banging into the windows for at least a few hundred feet down the trail. I'm sure glad we weren't on foot.

Last spring, I was driving down Redington Pass with my girlfriend. We came around a corner and a swarm of migrating bees bounced off of the windshield. The windows went up in microseconds and I actually lost visibility for at least a minute. Would hate to run into that on foot!

H.L. Mencken

Went up the wrong canyon this weekend. I found the Garwood Dam, but nothing is left of the ranch. Wasps have occupied the dam with what must be a massive nest though.

Will just have to keep plugging away. No telling if those ruins on that old map vanished decades ago or not.

You gotta envy the Forest Service though. Always having to protect the public from themselves.

H.L. Mencken

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Interesting. I wonder what that little room was for?

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thats bee...utiful. Wrong canyon eh?

Sometimes its the happy accident that makes the day.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default Garwood's?

It was about 1956 when my grandparents took us out to visit the Garwoods that lived at the end of Speedway. At that time their ranch house was the largest home I'd ever seen. It was built in the style of the old national park lodges with a huge vaulted ceiling and a fireplace big enough to park a Yugo. As kids we had a great time playing around the Garwoods private lake. I remember Mr. Garwood saying that he built the dam himself because he thought it was a terrible thing to waste free water when you live in the desert.

The next time I visited this location was in the late '60s. The park service had not yet taken possession of the property. For Rincon High teenagers this place was party central where we consumed vast quantities of beer. By this time the ranch house had burned down and only the huge chimney still stood. The Garwoods had deeded their property to the Saguaro National Monument. However, the dam still held water so this was a great place to visit on a hot summer day.

My understanding is that there is no longer any trace of the Garwood ranch house (it was located on the edge of the canyon about 1/4 mile below the dam. I always wanted to know more about the Garwoods, but my grandparents passed away many years ago, so they seem to have been lost to history.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering just what happened to the house myself. It's a shame. How many ruins have been lost to a "good time" in American I wonder?

H.L. Mencken

Thread Information