Thread: who is in charge of town planning?

Default who is in charge of town planning?

Hey an hi fellow ghosttowners! Well i have spent months looking over any an all ghost towns and one question bothers me! Was there any town planning? I am looking between 1850 to about 1930,towns like Wickenburg,Bodie, Calico, Ruby, Bumblebee etc etc, there does not seem to be any rational thinking to how towns were laid out,also like in England when one building burns they all burn,any books out there i can get hold off?In my big city Brisbane,capitol city of Queensland,the poms(English people its there nickname in Australia) tried to set out our streets just like back home in jolly ol England(its possible to fit the whole of europe in our one state)skinny little laneways you couldnt fit a bycycle side ways down,story goes that the surveyors side kick would follow behind him and kick the markers out with his foot a few more feet thus giving us our wide roads in our city.
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

Default no rhyme or reason

the reason why there seems to be no planning is that most ghost towns were "boom towns" - in some cases springing up overnight due to an industrial need. this could include mines, lumber, gold, etc. And then that is the explanation for why they are now ghosts - the industry went away.

happy hunting!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by rev dr g View Post
    Hey an hi fellow ghosttowners! Well i have spent months looking over any an all ghost towns and one question bothers me! Was there any town planning? I am looking between 1850 to about 1930,towns like Wickenburg,Bodie, Calico, Ruby, Bumblebee etc etc, there does not seem to be any rational thinking to how towns were laid out,also like in England when one building burns they all burn,any books out there i can get hold off?In my big city Brisbane,capitol city of Queensland,the poms(English people its there nickname in Australia) tried to set out our streets just like back home in jolly ol England(its possible to fit the whole of europe in our one state)skinny little laneways you couldnt fit a bycycle side ways down,story goes that the surveyors side kick would follow behind him and kick the markers out with his foot a few more feet thus giving us our wide roads in our city.

Yep, DS is right. And as many of the folks back then relied on their pack animals for transportation, etc., many of the roads and streets in those old towns were built over the mule/horse trails. Placerville, CA is one that did that, and I think Bisbee, AZ is another, but IINM most of them were that way.

Conversely, I read something about Salt Lake City being well planned by the Mormons. They wanted the streets to run perfectly squared from the Mormon Temple, or some such, and those original plats remain that way to this day, at least in old town SLC. I imagine the other Mormon settlements were similarly planned.

Many towns were indeed platted. Not all were platted on a grid, but topography often dictates how streets ran. And often mine claim boundaries dictated that a street make adjustments to circumvent them.

The best way to find out if towns indeed were planned, is go to the county seat and ask the clerks for them. I have a copy of the official Skidoo (California) townsite map in my collection.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

THis might be a good thread to get a question that's been bugging me answered.
    Many moons ago, when I first came to GT.com, I 'found' a site that showed a town that was in such a narrow valley that they built the railway through the Hotel. Anyone help me out with the name of the town?
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    I 'found' a site that showed a town that was in such a narrow valley that they built the railway through the Hotel. Anyone help me out with the name of the town?
    Train Wreck? Holey Hotel?
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Many moons ago, when I first came to GT.com, I 'found' a site that showed a town that was in such a narrow valley that they built the railway through the Hotel. Anyone help me out with the name of the town?

How about more details? What state, area of the particular state and where there pictures?

I have googled many different keywords and come up empty. Maybe the state would be the key.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hiya Pete.
    Creede CO is built in a narrow rock canyon. Can't recall if any narrow-guage RR or mine spur goes thru there though.

Bob Ford (who allegedly shot Jesse James in the back), was killed by shotgun blast there in Creede, 1892.

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Hey Bob!
    Mate, I can't recall much of that town except that one of the captions mentioned the train going through the hotel. THAT, you don't forget in a hurry!
    In the first few months here at GT.com I looked at every listing we have and that, as you know, is hundreds so, where it was.....dunno!
    Nothing else for it, I'll just have to go through them all again!
    It's a dirty job, but.......
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Although it's a bit more than a town and certainly not located in a narrow valley, this is what came to my mind when I read your question.
    I know it's not what you're looking for, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Thread Information