Thread: Gold King Mine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Gold King Mine

There was a thread on Jerome a few months ago that mentioned the Gold King Mine. The Gold King is a tourist (pay-per-view) thing near Jerome, AZ. It occupies the site of the Gold King Mine, which closed in 1914. There are some original structures and items there, but there have been a lot of things added .

We knew going into it we were not exactly stumbling onto the real deal. But it was quality time spent out with my gal, and for $5 each we had a blast!

The caretaker is nice to talk with, and he showed me what was original and what was not. If nothing else, there was a lot of great weathered wood shots. This place is fantastic if you want to snap pics!

Miner's house:
    Last edited by campp; 11-23-2008 at 05:10 AM.

The caretaker has been bringing and storing all manner of heavy antique trucks on the property. There are easily over a hundred fantastic vehicles, many just out in the weeds, in every condition from pile of rust to fully restored. There are firetrucks, tractors, you name it.

Here's a little fall color from the town looking onto the lower section:

The original verticle shaft:

I understand this shaft has several miles of tunnel. There is also a nearby horizontal shaft that goes in maybe 75 feet, but it stops and is blocked of course.

The guy running the place has a sense of humor, that's for sure. The more I looked around, the more I found site gags. Sure, there's the bordello on the hillside (can't visit), with the manequine floozy in the window, but I found more subtle things. There is an immense amount of just rusted stuff. Much of it is mining related, of course, but there are piles of outboard motorboat engines, for example. Most everything is pretty old, pre-1950s for the most part. He is a tinkerer, and has the goods to prove it.

If you're like me, and just like to rummage through "stuff", the Gold King is for you.
    Last edited by campp; 11-23-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Does anyone know what these do? Obviously a mine train piece, but why the wheels on top?

Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours. Lately we've been taking in some of the pay-type ghost town places. They are great fun and a good place to take pictures. See 'em while you can!

Great photos, Campp!

I like how you related the vehicles to "fall color". That's what I thought, before I read the caption.

Kathy
    Kathy

Really nice pics, thanks........Speedy

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I visited the mine in 2004, before I became a member of this forum and before I had a digital camera.

The display of old trucks is a gearhead's (like me!) paradise, and, as you mentioned, the assortment of old, rusted machinery.

If I remember correctly, there was a working steam engine that was in operation near the entrance, and I think it was always running.

There were old buildings with restored cars in them, and a restored tow truck that looked like it got daily use.

My favorite was the mining pump powered by what looked like an early 331 Chrysler hemi.

I even stayed at the haunted Jerome hotel, but the ghosts didn't come out that night.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Great shots Campp! Looks like you had a blast there. Some of it is closed off?
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default Jerome is where the ghost town bug bit me!

Loved the pics,and yep it is a great place,I even got a photo of the ghost of Jerome(relax Joel! it was the rabbit that ran around loose when i was there Nov 2007)A great book to read is Ghosts of Cleopatra Hill by Herbert V.Young,you can get it in the gift shop.
    rev dr g
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

Thread Information