Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Town Mapping Website(please sticky)

Exclamation Ghost Town Mapping Website(please sticky)

So I made this website dedicated to mapping the location of ghost towns:

www.ghosttowns.co.nr

It's still under construction but I think all of you would like it. Right now from our site their are only satellite view maps available but I am currently working on incorporating terrain maps and road maps on the site.

check it out!

oh and zoom in on the ghost town and for most it will show a bordered outline of the town. you can also access this forum from the site.
    Last edited by grs345; 11-23-2008 at 03:25 PM.

That looks real good.It looks like a lot of work.I have several in my area here as well that are not on your map and i havent seen much mention on here about them.Would you like some info and coordinates?

shure definatly!

also I should have the how to map a ghost town section up within afew days which will show all of you how to add a map to our maps instantly.

Default Mapping GT's

We have found that we in general do not like to point out directly where GT's are. THis can help thread out some of the "people" that like to deface our history. I know we have had a couple threads on this, just can't remember which ones. Its just like posting to many pictures on the site, do that and no reason for us adventurest to go out.

By the way welcome to this site.

Default Wow impressive

I do like what you have done. Looks good. What I was saying was just don't make it to easy. Half the fun is also research into history and things.

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    We have found that we in general do not like to point out directly where GT's are. THis can help thread out some of the "people" that like to deface our history. I know we have had a couple threads on this, just can't remember which ones. Its just like posting to many pictures on the site, do that and no reason for us adventurest to go out.

I am new to GT'ing and I couldnt agree more. Are you going to tell a robber where you keep all your valuables? Sure they know they are in the house but not the exact location.

I enjoy searching for hours on the interweb and in books and maps (my girlfriend thinks im crazy).

I do disagree one one thing though.. I like all the pictures.

Default Andytown Florida

Hey, that's amazing that you were able to spot the Andytown writing on US27--how did you ever find out about that?
    Last edited by mainmanwalkin; 11-24-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: woops

Quote Originally Posted by vacant minds View Post
    I do disagree one one thing though.. I like all the pictures.
    I agree, pictures are pretty helpful if you're planning a day or weekend trip (or longer). They can give you a gauge of how much time needs to be set aside for certain towns and how to plan the day out. For instance in Florida a lone building foundation (Citrus Center) vs a large partially intact site (Rochelle) can make a big difference timewise.

I can see the point in not loading in 20 or 30 shots, though, as it might take away some of the mystery for future visitors. But I always hunt around anyway to see if there's anything undiscovered around.

And I really like seeing all of the old archival shots from the town's heyday too.

Default Pictures

I agree I love the pictures and even though you see it in pics nothing better than the real thing. 50 years and many millions of $ and maybe able to see all the GT's. Think about the mystery of what else is there.

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    I agree I love the pictures and even though you see it in pics nothing better than the real thing. 50 years and many millions of $ and maybe able to see all the GT's. Think about the mystery of what else is there.
    The way I see it.. Pictures are like gold, the more pictues I see the hotter the gold fever gets.

Thread Information