Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ghost Town Mapping Website(please sticky)

My opinion for what it's worth is, I like having the direction spelled out to me. I think that people that are doing the damage are people that find these places by just wandering around for the most part. Very few people run around with paint in thier vehicles with the perpose of going out in the middle of no where to vandle something if they are not from the area. Most of the out of area vandles would be those that find these places by accident I would think. Normally I think the harder and farther it is away from people the less likely out of the area people are going to destroy it unless they are those that are out there to steal ie Copper. Then they may do thier homework and find places whether it is posted here or not, they will find it.
    I agree with the more people know where these places are the easier it will be to protect them from the State and Fed. government agencies.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Rupe

PS
    Most of the Vandalism that I investigated was by local kids and younger people being drunk and stupid. Except bullet holes, that's by everyone that is just stupid. Being a gun owner and shooter, hunter, I hate finding bullet holes in everything. I don't understand why they can't set up targets like I do. I have never ever shot at something I wasn't suppose to shoot at. Those that do give guys like me a bad name.
    Coodinator Oregon Chapter of 4x4him.org
    Member of Handgunhunt.com
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    wheelersforthewounded.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    If you don't like logging then try using plastic toilet
    paper.
    Exploring Oregon in a Jeep
    Tread Lightly
    <><

yeah, your right vacant minds.....but, and I hate to do this....suppose I know where a large amt of gold is buried on blm land....now, do I leave it, or let the gov poss find it, and then destroy whatever GT might be near, in the name of "protecting" the citizens from hurting themselve and thereby avoiding a lawsuit? It is a catch 22,...... treasure hunting is just that, you do it for the treasure, which is lost to history anyway.....it's a complex issure....like the rights to keep land pristine, but allow 4x4's like mine to have access.......

hahaha I agree with you.

Gold is a different story though... Monetary value VS historical artifacts. I can guarantee you that if I found a large amount of gold no one would know where it came from.

Hey Rupe can I come visit you? Im originally from Springfield/Eugene.

Quote Originally Posted by vacant minds View Post
    Hey Rupe can I come visit you? Im originally from Springfield/Eugene.
    Sure, where are you now? ( Why did you leave, me here all alone? I search the world over and I thought I found true love, but she met another and blllllp she was gone!) Oops sorry just reminded me of an old song. I can't wait to get to the other side of the mountains where it's dryer and there is more to explore. This wetness is getting to my bones and my mind (Ref: song up above) rupe
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    Sure, where are you now? ( Why did you leave, me here all alone? I search the world over and I thought I found true love, but she met another and blllllp she was gone!) Oops sorry just reminded me of an old song. I can't wait to get to the other side of the mountains where it's dryer and there is more to explore. This wetness is getting to my bones and my mind (Ref: song up above) rupe

Currently live in So Cal. I left back in 97 for a job here. I will be back in March for a convetion in Portland. I plan on heading down for a couple days after.

Well I hope you didn't misplace your roots and intend on coming back for good someday. Maybe we can get together and go on a short run up there or at least have a cup of coffee on your way through. rupe
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><

That sounds like fun. I will keep this in mind when I plan how many days Im going to stay after. I have to make a special trip down to Coos Bay to visit the whole famn damily. I haven't been back since 01.

Cool, let me know! rupe
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by xplor'npaul View Post
    Either ghosttown lover or treasure hunter? 2 catagories , that's all? Well, I am both. and I respectfully disagree.

BY "hunter" I meant more of the type that search out and likely destroy sites for no other purpose than to gain something of some monetary value, or even worse, for themselves to hoard. Most people who like to scour sites looking for cool relics are not really considered treasure hunters from my experience. Divers have the same issues. There are those that dive wreck sites for the enjoyment, and those that dive them to look for anything they can make a buck off of.

True, there are some ghost towner's that may find something of historical value and they may pass it on to the right people, ie. museum. But others (like myself) leave it be for the next person to find. Granted, the next person may just take it, but I wouldn't want to remove it for 2 reasons. 1, it takes away from the enjoyment of others finding it. And 2, chances are the site is protected by some measure of an antiquities law which makes it illegal.

Good luck on making the BLM Archaeologist or Forest Ranger believe you had the best intentions when they see that ore cart in the back of your truck
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thread Information