Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldest wood schoolhouse in US

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Oldest wood schoolhouse in US

Tourist attraction, no longer in actual use as a school. The Oldest Wooden School House is a wooden structure near the city gates of St. Augustine, Florida. It is reportedly the oldest wooden school building in the United States. The exact date of construction is unknown, but it first appears on tax records in 1716.

The house is encircled by a large chain, placed there in 1937, to help anchor it to the ground in case of a hurricane. The walls are made of bald cypress and red cedar which are held together by wooden pins and iron spikes but it has had recent maintenance such as a new roof among other fixes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'll be up there Thanksgiving weekend, dont know if I'll have a chance to see it though (wedding planning) If I do I'll see about posting a few more shots here

St. Augustine is one of my most favorite towns in the USofA. I could walk that town for days on end.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Kathy
    Kathy

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by mainmanwalkin View Post
    I'll be up there Thanksgiving weekend, dont know if I'll have a chance to see it though (wedding planning) If I do I'll see about posting a few more shots here

Would be nice to see the latest version, MMW, if ya have the time.

Weddings are NOT to be messed with however. Any glitch caused by you, and you'll NEVER hear the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LV Caretaker View Post
    St. Augustine is one of my most favorite towns in the USofA. I could walk that town for days on end.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Kathy

You're welcome... forgot to mention the photo credit, was one of several I got off the newsgroup, ABPS (alt binaries, pictures, scenic), IIRC posted by Consigliere, or Mitchell Holman .

Would love to see St Augustine, and St Genevieve in MO. Two of the oldest incorporated US cities. (Also Taos in NM).

I used to work in Jacksoville, FL. One of my co-workers was from St. Augustine. His family history went back several generations. He told me that the Fountain of Youth had been "moved" around the town many times.

Yea, the town can be a bit "touristy", but you can peel through the layers to see the real town.

A visit to the Castillo de San Marcos alone, is well worth a visit to St. Augustine.
    Kathy

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

"The walls are made of bald cypress"

Is that cypress with no hair growing on it?

<OFF TOPIC>
    Just ran across this today, another shot of oldest wooden schoolhouse in St Augustine, (but with ghostly feature). Photo is authentic.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    <OFF TOPIC>
    Just ran across this today, another shot of oldest wooden schoolhouse in St Augustine, (but with ghostly feature). Photo is authentic.
    I have to add my two cents, Bob.
    I think you know one of my hobbies is the study of the paranormal.

Years ago I would have gazed upon that closeup and concluded it was solid "evidence" of otherworldly beings. But as I get older and learn more, I'm not so sure.

In the paranormal community, we often discuss "matrixing". It is said the human brain dosen't like random patterns and is always looking for discernable shapes when presented with them.

Maybe it is something ghostly.Then again, consider matrixing. I see the face in your picture, but, then again, I saw the face of Juan Manuel Fangio (The greatest grand prix driver of all time) in my pancakes this morning.

Just something to consider.

Don't get me started on "orbs".

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I have to add my two cents, Bob.
    I think you know one of my hobbies is the study of the paranormal.

Years ago I would have gazed upon that closeup and concluded it was solid "evidence" of otherworldly beings. But as I get older and learn more, I'm not so sure.

In the paranormal community, we often discuss "matrixing". It is said the human brain dosen't like random patterns and is always looking for discernable shapes when presented with them.

Maybe it is something ghostly.Then again, consider matrixing. I see the face in your picture, but, then again, I saw the face of Juan Manuel Fangio (The greatest grand prix driver of all time) in my pancakes this morning.

Just something to consider.

Don't get me started on "orbs".

That's why I wrote ghost-ly feature, and not ghost feature, then added "photo is authentic".

It's up to each individual to decide if the ghost is there or not, based on the on-hand info.

Thread Information