Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Coin Battle in the Dumpdiggers Arena

Default Best Coin Battle in the Dumpdiggers Arena

Every week Dumpdiggers.com hosts photo battles for relics recovered from century old dumps, privies and ghost towns.

This week's battles in the Dumpdiggers Arena include a Best Coin competition... Which coin would you most like to find?

Members can leave feedback on the Best Coin battle here on Dumpdiggers.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Looters posting? Oh my! Stay off public lands.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wow, this is scary. Pretty darn brazen.

Tell me all of this digging goes on with permission of landowners, and none of it is on public lands?
    Last edited by campp; 11-29-2008 at 07:02 AM.

Default Its just not cricket

Mr Arob! Rape,Pillage an Plunder!!!!! If i fall into one of your holes i will be cranky
    So out of curiosity,when you have dug everything up what do you do next for a hobby!! I know? re-bury everything you stole!
    Please,as i have read and will give credit to who said it(cant remember if it was joel?) leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but photos!

Reminds me of the African saying,
    50 years ago we had the animals but no cameras to photograph,50 years from now we will have the cameras but no animals to photograph,.Take the hint Mr Arob
    rev dr g
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

This poster is shown to be in Canada, (go figure), so he MAY be referring to places up there, I haven't gone to the web link. Canadian laws may also be less restrictive than here in the US, on subject.

That said, with the info he posted, the US can and should be aware of this person, his associates, and his website, to ensure that he violates NO US laws, and will be prosecuted if he ever does.

Default Guys the post is about the software

The coins are all from private collections Im sure - metal detecting finds.

I posted that so you could see and perhaps get excited about the competition, but I guess my intention was misinterpreted.
    I write Dumpdiggers.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Arob View Post
    The coins are all from private collections Im sure - metal detecting finds.

I posted that so you could see and perhaps get excited about the competition, but I guess my intention was misinterpreted.

Problem is in many places, such as most ghost towns, metal detecting is ILLEGAL! And permission must be obtained from privately owned ghosts. Heavy fines are being levied for violations.

Also, spam bots, and other spammers hit this site, (now semi-regularly, with our moderator on duty) so items up for sale are highly suspect. With that in mind, this may not be a very good site for your purposes. But it's not up to me to make that call.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Problem is in many places, such as most ghost towns, metal detecting is ILLEGAL! And permission must be obtained from privately owned ghosts. Heavy fines are being levied for violations.
    When my husband and I were interviewed for our position, we were told that our primary duty was to make sure whatever artifacts that were on the property, stayed on the property. I appreciate what folks on this forum do to educate others about proper "ghost town etiquette".

Thanks.

And I frequently use that very line when talking to folks about walking around the property: "Enjoy walking around the town. Please take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints. We want to preserve what is here [however little that is] for future generations."

Kathy
    Last edited by LV Caretaker; 01-05-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    Kathy

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Question

It's a fine line as far as removing items goes. I found an old, small, ladies diamond ring in the sand next to an abandoned mine, did I keep it...you betcha I did. I wasn't looking for anything at the time, just idly sitting on a rock, resting and sifting the sand through my fingers. Should I have just left it buried in the sand? Also, we took some old tools from an assayers shack that was designated (by the forest service to be torn down and is now leveled to the ground) We offered the tools to a local historical society museum, they weren't interested.
    I'm really not sure how I feel about removing items found.
    No, I definitely wouldn't go metal detecting in a ghost town or old mining camp, it's way too destructive in my opinion. But...what about "found" items?

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Laura, I don't think anyone on the planet would rebury that ring in the sand. Finders keepers. It's probably newer than you think.

However, folks that deliberately go to public lands, and metal detect / dig / vandalize are scum in my book. I've yelled at people in the past for behavior, and will in the future if I see something.

Thread Information