Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Coin Battle in the Dumpdiggers Arena

I myself see nothing wrong with detecting a site as long as you carefully remove and replace the ground as you found it. I DON'T agree with knocking holes in walls and tearing out boards or other such destructive activities.As far as taking things from a shack....well, if I knew BEFORE hand that it was due to be torn down...then perhaps I might filtch the goods... however if there is any doubt.....I believe I would leave them alone. But the question becomes this:
    If your out in the middle of nowhere, no known ghost towns and you find an abandoned cabin full of cool artifacts, do you leave it for someone else to take? Now, I don't condone detecting protected sites, or private lands without permission.

When I go exploring ghost towns I always take my detector. Many times it stays in the jeep. Only when I have been given permission and an agreement of what to do with any finds is reached. Both hobbies can be merged if respect for the property of others and common sense are used. I find it hard to believe the holes Dumpdigger is making fall in to that class. (no pun intended)
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    It's a fine line as far as removing items goes. I found an old, small, ladies diamond ring in the sand next to an abandoned mine, did I keep it...you betcha I did. I wasn't looking for anything at the time, just idly sitting on a rock, resting and sifting the sand through my fingers. Should I have just left it buried in the sand? Also, we took some old tools from an assayers shack that was designated (by the forest service to be torn down and is now leveled to the ground) We offered the tools to a local historical society museum, they weren't interested.
    I'm really not sure how I feel about removing items found.
    No, I definitely wouldn't go metal detecting in a ghost town or old mining camp, it's way too destructive in my opinion. But...what about "found" items?

I agree with Campp on this LauraA.

Also, I think any cash received from found items should be "redistributed" equally with a poor member such as myself. Actually I meant specifically myself.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It turns out that the ring is circa 1910ish. It's about 1/4 carat, white gold, very small, it barely fits my pinkie (no, I don't have fat fingers) It doesn't have much $$ value, except perhaps as an item of interest from that time period. (sorry Bad Bob)
    I'm not so sure about the "finders keepers" thing, we've found some other neat stuff, been tempted mightily to keep some things, but in the end, we've left them behind.
    Paul, we know of a cabin in our area that's got lots of neat artifacts, it appears that throughout the years, those who have stumbled upon this cabin have left things intact, personally, I think they should remain that way.
    This topic has come up before here on the board, I guess it's really a question of ethics but I've still got mixed feelings about the issue.

Name:  Saguaro mine ring.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  21.5 KB

I agree laura,....I dont think I would take anything,..but, then, you did the absolute right thing....turn them over to the historical society. I certainly would think about keeping some stuff,...I mean,...h..ll I am human, but my own ethics would prohibit it.... we all think about it from time to time. I'm just afraid that as civilization encroaches evermore,..... vandals and scum will take/destroy what people like you and i find nostalgic. Ever look at an artifact and thought "wow, someone 100 years ago stood right where I'm standing, and put this down here....." it's a cool feeling!

by the way, cool find Laura....perhaps some little girl or newly married woman way back lost it there. it's cool to think that the last person that wore it was her. I love history on a personal level..... touching items that were touched by persons long ago... I'm not big on history as in a bunch of dates and dead people like they teach in history class!

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by xplor'npaul View Post
    by the way, cool find Laura....perhaps some little girl or newly married woman way back lost it there. it's cool to think that the last person that wore it was her. I love history on a personal level..... touching items that were touched by persons long ago... I'm not big on history as in a bunch of dates and dead people like they teach in history class!
    The image I have in my mind regarding the ring is; some woman got tired of hearing empty promises of riches once he struck the mother lode from her betrothed gold miner beau. She and her Daddy went to the mine to confront him, trying to get him to quit digging and come to work in her Daddy's mercantile. Since he had been bitten by the gold bug, he of course refused. She in turn, threw the ring at him, then she and her Daddy left in a huff. He went to look for the ring and couldn't find it.
    (uh huh I've got an over-active imagination)
    Footnote:
    She should have stuck around. While he never found the "mother lode" he did strike a vein, and was able to make a respectable living for many years until it finally ran out.

Too bad, they could have lived happily ever after. Just goes to show you what gold fever will do to you. I bet she was the fairest lass in the valley.......Speedy

Thread Information