Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Groups

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

For anyone confused, since the last update we have a new option of creating or joining a "social group". It's basically a forum within the forums. When you go to your user control panel (labeled User CP on the top left of the menu) you have some new options on the left hand side to choose from under the Networking tab. Select the social group link and you get the listing of current groups to join and create.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Posted something regarding the Los Santos Ángeles de Guevavi and San Cayetano de Calabazas Missions. Let me know if it works or is too much of a pain.

Joel;

I think you may have directed this at me, and it went right over my head. Senior moment, and I can't spell neither! Duhhhhhh.

anyway, the Calabazas site is now a park and picknic area, only thing left is adobe walls. I don't think, from what I have read, it ever was a mission with frescos and santos. It was only a few niles from the Guevavi site which was a true mission. I think it was more of a church, or "branch mission".

Gandara, the last Governor of Sonora, before part of it became Arizona, purchased it and turned it into a sheep ranch and at one time had as many as 38,000 sheep there. Later it was a customs house, but the pesky Apaches burned it on at least 2 occasions and it was abandoned.

The Guevavi site was a real mission with all the trappings, but still was abandoned because of the Apaches. The Dept. of Interior has a chain link fence around the Guevavi site, but you can crawll under it in several places. The ole mission is pretty much gone, although some of the walls and the outline of the structure remain. It's worth the trip to see and photograph it.

I'm not one to disturb such places, however I did find a beautiful arrowhead in the river bottom near the mission site. It is in a frame on my wall.

also; in regards to the elusive Santa Anna mission that was the last Spanish Mission built in AZ, somewhere about 35 miles West of Tucson, I finally got in touch with BLM and was referred to Mark Lambert at the Ironwood Preserve.
    He is going to call me with coordinates.
    I'll post when I get the info.

Norm

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted on that if you will. I have a fair idea of where it might be, but it looks like a long ways out. I figure that it's about 17 miles from where I'd need to park and it looks like there is no road into area at all.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default Camp loco story

Around the turn of the century[1900], a black cowboy heard about the lost mines, and while wandering around the canyon, came upon the Cross in the Cliff, and the ruins of the original Mission.

Not known for certain, but another monument he may have seen was the face of Christ in a cliff. This is a man made monument. It was made to be viewed at a certain time of day, from a certain angle, at the right time of year. A combination of cut rocks and shadows form this monument that was meant to be seen from a distance. It is only one of several monuments in the area.

He spent a long time trying to find the lost mine of the Virgin de Guadalupe. He dug shafts all over the place. While he would dig, a Bighorn Sheep used to watch him from the cliffs above. The same sheep would watch every day. He started thinking that the spirit of one of the Jesuits was in the ram, watching him to make sure he didn't find the mine (we know this, because that's what he told the men who brought him supplies)! One day, he got flustered and shot the ram. He got more and more paranoid. So much so, that the men who brought him supplies, got worried, and one day, came to take him to a hospital to get help. When they got there, he pulled a knife and attacked them. They were forced to kill him in self-defense. From that day on, the location was known as Camp Loco.
    You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by And so become yourself!

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Calabazas of the Rio Rico

Quote Originally Posted by normanlclark View Post
    Posted something regarding the Los Santos Ángeles de Guevavi and San Cayetano de Calabazas Missions. Let me know if it works or is too much of a pain.

Joel;

I think you may have directed this at me, and it went right over my head. Senior moment, and I can't spell neither! Duhhhhhh.

anyway, the Calabazas site is now a park and picknic area, only thing left is adobe walls. I don't think, from what I have read, it ever was a mission with frescos and santos. It was only a few niles from the Guevavi site which was a true mission. I think it was more of a church, or "branch mission".

Gandara, the last Governor of Sonora, before part of it became Arizona, purchased it and turned it into a sheep ranch and at one time had as many as 38,000 sheep there. Later it was a customs house, but the pesky Apaches burned it on at least 2 occasions and it was abandoned.

The Guevavi site was a real mission with all the trappings, but still was abandoned because of the Apaches. The Dept. of Interior has a chain link fence around the Guevavi site, but you can crawll under it in several places. The ole mission is pretty much gone, although some of the walls and the outline of the structure remain. It's worth the trip to see and photograph it.

I'm not one to disturb such places, however I did find a beautiful arrowhead in the river bottom near the mission site. It is in a frame on my wall.

also; in regards to the elusive Santa Anna mission that was the last Spanish Mission built in AZ, somewhere about 35 miles West of Tucson, I finally got in touch with BLM and was referred to Mark Lambert at the Ironwood Preserve.
    He is going to call me with coordinates.
    I'll post when I get the info.

Norm
    Some Pics...

Looking northeast at Calabazas church, (Gandara hacienda) 1934.

Same view, 1913.

Looking northwest, 1913.

Looking northeast 1971.

1913 photo's by Robert Forbes.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Southeast Arizona maps...

Map, northern Sonora, 1687-1854.

Map, northern Sonora, 1854-1971.

James Ayers, Bernard Fontana & Will Rogers jr @ Calabazas, 1971.

Enraving of Calabazas, 1853.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Hard to fathom that someone wouldn't just throw a couple of tarps over the ruins to help preserve them in those old days.

<

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well! Quite a bit of Santa Cruz County history popping up. Lovely old pictures of Calabazas. Hoping that the NPS will me call soon!

Froggy, where did you get that Camp Loco story from? I've been searching quite a few places for any information and found absolutely nothing. I struck out at the AHS.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Jole:
    I’ve done a lot of research on the existence of and site of the Tumacacori Mission lost mines. La Virgen de Guadalupe; La Purisima Concepcion; La Opata’s Mine; and others
    You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by And so become yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Jole:
    I’ve done a lot of research on the existence of and site of the Tumacacori Mission lost mines. La Virgen de Guadalupe; La Purisima Concepcion; La Opata’s Mine; and others
    Yes, and???

Thread Information