Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Groups

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Around the turn of the century[1900], a black cowboy heard about the lost mines, and while wandering around the canyon, came upon the Cross in the Cliff, and the ruins of the original Mission.

Not known for certain, but another monument he may have seen was the face of Christ in a cliff. This is a man made monument. It was made to be viewed at a certain time of day, from a certain angle, at the right time of year. A combination of cut rocks and shadows form this monument that was meant to be seen from a distance. It is only one of several monuments in the area.

He spent a long time trying to find the lost mine of the Virgin de Guadalupe. He dug shafts all over the place. While he would dig, a Bighorn Sheep used to watch him from the cliffs above. The same sheep would watch every day. He started thinking that the spirit of one of the Jesuits was in the ram, watching him to make sure he didn't find the mine (we know this, because that's what he told the men who brought him supplies)! One day, he got flustered and shot the ram. He got more and more paranoid. So much so, that the men who brought him supplies, got worried, and one day, came to take him to a hospital to get help. When they got there, he pulled a knife and attacked them. They were forced to kill him in self-defense. From that day on, the location was known as Camp Loco.
    Bravo Sierra...
    <
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Bravo Sierra...
    <

Can you prove or disprove all this, or is it just more of your "opinion"?

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Camp Loco, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Can you prove or disprove all this, or is it just more of your "opinion"?
    Here's the pertinent passage & a link to the website.

I am very interested to know Froggy's source for that story.

http://www.foresthistory.org/Researc...ick/chap19.htm

"Some of them have spent thousands and thousands of dollars there. One old camp is up off the side canyon coming into Peck Canyon. Mrs. Shipley operated there for several years. She got thousands of dollars put up by two or three profs from the University here and a doctor or two and others, and she was excavating there. She even had a machine gun set up at one time to guard this 'valuable treasure.' Two of the fellows that were her body guards are still in Nogales; one is a contractor and the other got to be deputy sheriff in Nogales. She sold a lot of stock in this venture. There was all sorts of digging there. In one place she had an inclined shaft. One of the old ranchers there told me that one of the workers she had one time was a wetback from across the line. He was down in this precarious shaft digging for the treasure that was supposed to be down there and it caved in on him and killed him. While no one knew particularly that he was a wetback from across the line, there was no better place to bury him, so he is still down in the shaft. It caved in and that's that. We called that Camp Loco. She hired a pack horse from this rancher, for several seasons. He ranted her a kind of an old sway-backed horse that wasn't much good for anything else. She would tell prospective bait that he had got sway-backed from carrying out silver bars. Finally she got hold of some stationery of the Treasurer of the United States and faked some correspondence on that—I don't know just what—'your shipment of bullion had been received and the approximate valuation was so much and the exact valuation would be sent to her shortly.' She passed this around and they picked her up on that charge—doing things she shouldn't have done. They sent her up but she came back after a while and went to operating again. She finally moved over to the Coast and committed suicide. That was the end of that. She was quite a gal."

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 01-26-2009 at 09:20 AM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Here's the pertinent passage & a link to the website.

I am very interested to know Froggy's source for that story.

http://www.foresthistory.org/Researc...ick/chap19.htm

"Some of them have spent thousands and thousands of dollars there. One old camp is up off the side canyon coming into Peck Canyon. Mrs. Shipley operated there for several years. She got thousands of dollars put up by two or three profs from the University here and a doctor or two and others, and she was excavating there. She even had a machine gun set up at one time to guard this 'valuable treasure.' Two of the fellows that were her body guards are still in Nogales; one is a contractor and the other got to be deputy sheriff in Nogales. She sold a lot of stock in this venture. There was all sorts of digging there. In one place she had an inclined shaft. One of the old ranchers there told me that one of the workers she had one time was a wetback from across the line. He was down in this precarious shaft digging for the treasure that was supposed to be down there and it caved in on him and killed him. While no one knew particularly that he was a wetback from across the line, there was no better place to bury him, so he is still down in the shaft. It caved in and that's that. We called that Camp Loco. She hired a pack horse from this rancher, for several seasons. He ranted her a kind of an old sway-backed horse that wasn't much good for anything else. She would tell prospective bait that he had got sway-backed from carrying out silver bars. Finally she got hold of some stationery of the Treasurer of the United States and faked some correspondence on that—I don't know just what—'your shipment of bullion had been received and the approximate valuation was so much and the exact valuation would be sent to her shortly.' She passed this around and they picked her up on that charge—doing things she shouldn't have done. They sent her up but she came back after a while and went to operating again. She finally moved over to the Coast and committed suicide. That was the end of that. She was quite a gal."

<

EXCELLENT MR VULTURE!

I believe it would have been much better to produce this in the first place, and then given the poster (Froggy) a chance to reply if he's still around. The info he wrote did NOT appear to be made up, but it DID seem you were a bit unfair to this newbie for no apparent reason.
    <Now depositing my 2cents in the slot....ka ching.....ka ching>

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    The info he wrote did NOT appear to be made up, but it DID seem you were a bit unfair to this newbie
    Really bob?

A lost mission,

a lost mine,

a supernatural animal,

a mysterious landmark only discernable at certain lighting conditions,

madness, obsession, attempted murder, death...

maybe I was unfair to Froggy, but this has everything needed to make the next Indiana Jones movie. It just seemed a bit much.

(by the way, interested in a good deal on a bridge?)...

<

Really bob?

A lost mission,

a lost mine,

a supernatural animal,

a mysterious landmark only discernable at certain lighting conditions,

madness, obsession, attempted murder, death...

maybe I was unfair to Froggy, but this has everything needed to make the next Indiana Jones movie. It just seemed a bit much.

(by the way, interested in a good deal on a bridge?)...

<

Stranger things have happened, sir. Perhaps you're familiar with the Lost Dutchman Mine? There's also a natural cross on a Colorado mtn side that is barely discernable except when the snow fills the image.
    http://www.peakware.com/photos.html?pk=108

As to the rest, I'm pretty sure there are similar examples. I just thought you might wanna cut a newbie some slack, in hopes of having him/her return. I believe it's already hard enough getting them out of the reading mode and into the posting mode.

You keep your bridge for now...I'll see if I can find someone interested.

Default Newbies

Yea guys sometimes we are a little hard on the newbies. Just think they come to us after hearing the stories of lost mines and lost treasures. what is wrong with informing them of different ghost and mining towns. They may become one of our great explorers and find more places for us GT'ers to go to and enjoy our history. I know some of the newbies are a little weird but most "normal" people don't know the enjoyment we are able to experience. Just my opinion Ted

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Yea guys sometimes we are a little hard on the newbies. Just think they come to us after hearing the stories of lost mines and lost treasures. what is wrong with informing them of different ghost and mining towns. They may become one of our great explorers and find more places for us GT'ers to go to and enjoy our history. I know some of the newbies are a little weird but most "normal" people don't know the enjoyment we are able to experience. Just my opinion Ted

Howdy Ted.....how ya doin'?

You know, personal finances have kept me off the GT trails for some time now. Then with this xtra crunch on the economy, I don't know when I'll be able to get back to it. That is, short of hittin' the lottery. And that'd be some trick, since I hardly ever play it.

That's why it's nice to log in here and see some of the great photos and the latest info from folks that have the funds to get out there.

Did you say you been out explorin' recently? That's why you been AWOL in here lately.... I seem to recall a msg titled "I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!"

Default Finances

Hey Bob, How ya been. No I was just missing from the site for a while not able to go GT hunting. I've got problems at work and next week I may be a statistic on the unemployment line. I pleaded my case today. Anyway I went to my daughters in Utah and stopped at Wells and Deeth, Nevada. I have some pics I am going to post tonight. Wells was the city hit by the earthquake earlier this year. Old town was hit hard. Deeth is in our GT list in Elko county, Wells to. Anyway good to hear from you. I am going to try with a new post now under current status of GTs

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Hey Bob, How ya been. No I was just missing from the site for a while not able to go GT hunting. I've got problems at work and next week I may be a statistic on the unemployment line. I pleaded my case today. Anyway I went to my daughters in Utah and stopped at Wells and Deeth, Nevada. I have some pics I am going to post tonight. Wells was the city hit by the earthquake earlier this year. Old town was hit hard. Deeth is in our GT list in Elko county, Wells to. Anyway good to hear from you. I am going to try with a new post now under current status of GTs

Doin' ok for not having much $$$, Ted. Unemployed? Yikes! What do you do for work? I'm a house painter, and that's one thing that pretty much HAS to be done, regardless of the economy.

Landlords, and property owners do NOT like to splash paint, thank GOD. Cos I sure do. My rent increases every March based on the CPI (consumer price index). But I managed to snag a PT job as maintenance worker for a local family with 6-7 properties. Only 3 days a week, but enough to cover rent, and then some.

Good luck next week, and let me know what happens. I may have some "ideas" for you, if you get the pink slip. That is, unless you already got everything covered.

Thread Information