Thread: newbie

Default newbie

hello ghostowners I new on the forum but Have been ghostowning all of the southwest. I would like to know how many Texans or really out there checking out the ghost towns. I would like to know what most of you consider a ghosttown. I live in a community I have seen pictures of this place on here and we have a school with 68 kids 2 truck stops and 268 business listed with our own telephone exchange, 3 Churches. if you leave and go in most directions from this point you can actual find real ghost towns,most on Private property within ten miles or so. I know of at least 12 in this county along. sorry for such a long post.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It seems the definition depends on whom submitted the site as a ghost town. I don't think of populated areas as ghost towns at all myself. They do have history and charm, but it's not quite the same to my way of thinking.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

I'm a Texan and have checked out many. Been to some that are thriving communities, but some that are true ghost towns. Many have a few residents or some in the vicinity.........Speedy

Not a Texan but to answer your question about "what do you consider a Ghosttown".

I I would consider a Ghost town as a place where it's unihabited and most buildings are in a state of decay. then you have a place like Jerome, AZ. My dad grew up there as his father worked in the mines first before Phelps Dodge and then after Phelps Dodge took it over. My Uncle still lives there in the family house. Anyway back in the early 70's when we went up there alot it was much closer to a ghost town as most buildings were in decay with sidewalks falling apart, etc. The last time I was there was for my Grandmothers funeral in 97' andf it is now quite the Touristy ghost town with lots of buisness geared toward tourism.

A place like the town you descibe I would not consider a ghost otwn because it has 268 businesses and a School.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Not a Texan but to answer your question about "what do you consider a Ghosttown".

I I would consider a Ghost town as a place where it's unihabited and most buildings are in a state of decay. then you have a place like Jerome, AZ. My dad grew up there as his father worked in the mines first before Phelps Dodge and then after Phelps Dodge took it over. My Uncle still lives there in the family house. Anyway back in the early 70's when we went up there alot it was much closer to a ghost town as most buildings were in decay with sidewalks falling apart, etc. The last time I was there was for my Grandmothers funeral in 97' andf it is now quite the Touristy ghost town with lots of buisness geared toward tourism.

A place like the town you describe I would not consider a ghost town because it has 268 businesses and a School.
    I will admit that the community I live in as a few old business that are falling down and was almost a ghost when the oil field moved back into town and took down the70 year old school and re-build modern and all the area ranchers stared oil companies in the area and there in no central business district. but with in 10 miles there are several real ghost towns with nothing but a church and cemetery.

Default Where??

npbb4,
    Where approx. do you live. Would like to check out that area sometime.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Quote Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
    npbb4,
    Where approx. do you live. Would like to check out that area sometime.
    I live in the south part of freestone county,Texas will give you some of the names of the ghost towns.`Luna freestone,lanely, blackjack, Salem. avant prairie. simsboro. cotton gin. plum creek butler,pine top rocky mountain,bank stop to name a few places that had some sort of community and a hay day most of them or total gone some have Church's and cemeteries left and a few schools and the most interesting is Harrison chapel.

Thread Information