Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the new features all about?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Question What are the new features all about?

Gary, (or someone who knows) What's with the new features we've got? Specifically, The "visitor messages" that come up now and the "friends" requests? I know diddly-squat about forums, messages boards and stuff like that, I'm mostly hooked on this forum and don't bother with the others.
    What are the benefits of "friends"? (referring to the forum, not the psychological or social aspect)
    I guess the visitor messages are public, and can be viewed by anoyone viewing our profiles, not like sending a private message to someone, if so, how the heck do we delete them? When I tried to delete them, the name still shows up and the message shows as deleted, but I'd like to delete the whole thing, names and all.
    If you want to explain the new features I'd sure appreciate it.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

They are really just new fangled add-ons since the last upgrade. The "social groups" are kind of a forum within the forum. I think they came about since the old way was to create specific forum sections for different groups or interests and some sites were being over loaded. Case in point, a International Harvester site I frequent has separate sections for the different clubs across the country, plus ones for vendors, classifieds, etc. So you end up with 15 or so sections to look at. It also gives the group creator some ability to control the group as they see fit, which helps keep riff raff down.

As for "friends", I think that's just an idea spawned from MySpace, Face Book and others to keep the software hip to the newest fads.

The public messages can be set up by the poster to be public or private. Why you'd publicly ask someone a question instead of using the main forums, not sure, but it allows that option.

As for clearing them out, I'll look into it.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

The Friends thing is just an outgrowth of overall internet movement towards a more social group type model. They are used on another forum I'm involved with, but really it isn't much more than a clique. I suppose they have their use.

The Social Groups are also used on that forum, but they have not yet quite reached critical mass. Like Gary said, think of it as a narrow-focus forum. Joel's group here on GTF is oriented to SW AZ, for example.

Did you all know you have a photo album available to you here on GTF? Check your profile.

Gary, thanks for the updates!

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quite right Campp, would anyone from upper New Jersey or central Georgia really be interested in knowing that there is a nasty wash-out on the way to Total Wreck on the north side of the road? I think anyone would who is actually going there as opposed to someone just reading about it. I just see the groups as being useful as more of a regional tool.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Smile

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to get with the program and step out of the dark ages.

Dakota Guest

Should we all start a "Social Group" in the area/state that we live in to get these new programs into gear? Pick out moderators for that group and what not?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Should we all start a "Social Group" in the area/state that we live in to get these new programs into gear? Pick out moderators for that group and what not?
    Well, you can create your own and you are then the mod to a point.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to get with the program and step out of the dark ages.

Bring a couple of them dinosaurs with ya please, granny! Heard the Brontosaurus burgers were great on the barbie....tastes like halibut.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Talking

Ah Mi Amigo...and to think I knew you BEFORE you knew how to upload pictures.

Let's be historically accurate, I said DARK AGES

Name:  armor.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  3.0 KB

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Ah Mi Amigo...and to think I knew you BEFORE you knew how to upload pictures.

Let's be historically accurate, I said DARK AGES

Name:  armor.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  3.0 KB

Oooooooooops my bad!

Thread Information