Thread: Nevada Lodging Wanted for Xmas!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Nevada Lodging Wanted for Xmas!

Originally posted by Charlotte

:

: My husband and I are planning a trip to Nevada. We LOVE

: cerro gordo and would like to find a place similar to that

: for Christmas lodging.

: For those of you who don't know about Cerro Gordo...

: it is a beautiful peaceful place near the Owens Valley

: that has rustic but quaint lodging in a truely old

: and very small ghost town... you can't get any better

: atmosphere or hospitality anywhere!!

: Realizing Cerro Gordo is hard to replace we are still

: trying to find something similar.

: Anyone know of a place to recommend?

: Happy Holidays!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Nevada Lodging Wanted for Xmas!

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: REPLY

: I'm not sure if you are dismissing Cerro Gordo because a) you aren't going there, or b) you don't think you can stay there.

: Give Jody Stewart a call at (760) 876-5030 or (760) 876-5871 and maybe she can set you up for lodging at Cerro Gordo. Right now there is no snow at the camp. Snow in the Sierra is pretty pittiful right now, I've seen more snowfall in August and September than what's up there right now (I live in Big Pine).

: : REPLY

: : I'm not sure if you are dismissing Cerro Gordo because a) you aren't going there, or b) you don't think you can stay there.

: : Give Jody Stewart a call at (760) 876-5030 or (760) 876-5871 and maybe she can set you up for lodging at Cerro Gordo. Right now there is no snow at the camp. Snow in the Sierra is pretty pittiful right now, I've seen more snowfall in August and September than what's up there right now (I live in Big Pine).

: Thanks David! Actually my husband and I are headed for Nye County Nevada and are searching for another Cerro-Like treasure... any suggestions? What do you know about Gold Point? Any good off-the-beaten path ghost towns worthy of our visit in SW Nevada you know about? Thanks again for the info... Happy Holidays, Charlotte

:

: : Thanks David! Actually my husband and I are headed for Nye County Nevada and are searching for another Cerro-Like treasure... any suggestions? What do you know about Gold Point? Any good off-the-beaten path ghost towns worthy of our visit in SW Nevada you know about? Thanks again for the info... Happy Holidays, Charlotte

: Gold Point is pretty neat, and from what I hear, Harold Robbins' B&B is fine. Don't know the man, but have corresponded with him a time or two.

: Since you'll be in Nye County, Belmont is also a good place to visit.

: I've been to Gold Point, but never really have thoroughly explored it yet, due to the fact that it really is private property and I don't like to get out and browse or tresspass, knowing that those picturesque shacks might have someone in them who's watching me.

: There is a man, who has posted occasionally on ghosttows.com, who owns a place in town and has lodging. It is Herb Robbins, and he can be reached at

: sheriffstone@webtv.net

: Also try this web site:

: http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

: I've corresponded with Mr. Robbins by email but not in person.

: Recently the Las Vegas Review had an article on Gold Point and Mr. Robbins, the article entitled "SCARING UP A FUTURE FOR GHOST TOWN" Since there was no direct link to the on-line article, (I looked it up in the paper's on-line search) and there was an "Email this article to a friend" box in it, I asked the newspaper's website to email the article to you for your information (if it didn't come, try going to the Las Vegas Review website - http://www.lvrj.com/ and placing the title in the search box). The newspaper article talked all about Gold Point and Herb Robbins, so that should give you some more information

: As for other Nye County ghost towns, try Belmont. It's very picturesque and there's a few folks living there. Some web pages with Belmont photos:

: http://www.calneva.com/ghosts/ghosts3a.htm

: http://members.tripod.com/catmandoo2/belmont.html

: And there's even a B&B at Belmont. It's web page is found at

: http://www.angelfire.com/nv/BelmontMonitorInn/

: Another picturesque ghost town in Nye County is Ione, which does have a small population. Nearby is the ghost town of Berlin, which is held in a state of "arrested decay" like Bodie.

: Other than that, the rest of the ghost towns in Nye County are true ghosts and have no population and only scant ruins. Just take your pick of those on ghosttowns.com on the Nye County page if you're interested.

: Hope I've been of help. Here's to a fine Y2K for you and yours!

: David A. Wright

: Great Basin Research

Default The Best Ghost Town Resource!!

: I must say that this has been the best ghost town resource on the web! Congratulations to all of you that make this website possible and to all of you that contribute and respond! I've had several responses to my message and look forward to a wonderous trip to Nevada. Happy Holidays! Charlotte

I've just read this thread right now, thanks for the info. We might also lodge sometime during vacation. Thanks!

Thread Information