Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montana Ghost Towns

Quote Originally Posted by devilwoman View Post
    Yeah I have several ghost towns scoped out...Bannack, Coolidge, Elkhorn, Comet, Wickes and Mammoth. Pony, Laurin, Alder, Virgina City, Nevada City.

I think I will by ghost towned out by all that, so it will be on to Yellowstone for about 4-5 days...maybe take in a day horseback trip and finally end the trip at Chico Hot Springs before heading back to Alaska.

Thanks for the help.
    We went to Comet and Elkhorn while in MT last summer and both were awesome.

Virginia City and Nevada City were worth visiting, but it's not the same experience by any stretch of the imagination. It's very touristy, but the locals are very friendly and it was still a nice place to stop. We met an old miner turned poet who offered us an autographed copy of his poem that he had published.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
    We went to Comet and Elkhorn while in MT last summer and both were awesome.

Virginia City and Nevada City were worth visiting, but it's not the same experience by any stretch of the imagination. It's very touristy, but the locals are very friendly and it was still a nice place to stop. We met an old miner turned poet who offered us an autographed copy of his poem that he had published.

I believe ALL GTs are worth the visit, even the remote hard to find, hard to get to sites. Why? The history.

Many don't stop to realize the historical elements of these places, and balk at spending too much time in a place which is "touristy".

The thing is, it's likely the tourist who is funding most or all of the restoration. Or maybe it's the tourist that allows the town to remain open at all in some cases.

Don't take this as criticism of your msg, it's not. Some folks look for the abandoned town with dust and tumbleweeds blowing down the unpaved main street. Problem is, these places are extremely rare.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    I believe ALL GTs are worth the visit, even the remote hard to find, hard to get to sites. Why? The history.

Many don't stop to realize the historical elements of these places, and balk at spending too much time in a place which is "touristy".

The thing is, it's likely the tourist who is funding most or all of the restoration. Or maybe it's the tourist that allows the town to remain open at all in some cases.

Don't take this as criticism of your msg, it's not. Some folks look for the abandoned town with dust and tumbleweeds blowing down the unpaved main street. Problem is, these places are extremely rare.
    Nailed it!!! I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Thumbs up Taking the a moment to see.

Any time spent discovering on studying history is time well spent. So that the next generation can have some of what the country has developed into. All we have to do is take these places to heart and photographs to remember them by. A well spent pause, always has a payoff! //;-)
    To admire and reflect history, not destroy it. ll;-)

Time spent investigating old ghost towns is time well spent. Don't forget your camera, those pics are extremely valuable. They document our past which must be remembered. Thanks to all of you who search and record our past........Speedy

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post

I didn't take it the wrong way I can attest to the experience in Virginia City as the locals were wonderful. Also, many tourists don't seem to stray far from the beaten path, so in Virginia City in particular there is a hill overlooking the town where the graves of 5 road agents who were hanged sit.

Default The HiLine/US 2

There are some places along US 2 that are almost ghost towns. It is the area that I grew up in before heading off to Sea, many long years ago.
    Places like Loma, Chinook, Harlem, Zurich, Dodson, Malta, Saco and Hinsdale. All are currently sidings on the BNSF(old Great Northern) Milk River Subdivision. Malta and Chinook are county seats of Phillips and Blaine counties, respectively and have populations of less than 2,000. Loma has a few homes for farmers and a bar. Harlem is right next to the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation and still manages to get along. All that is left in Dodson is the school, houses and a post office. Saco still has a few conviences left. Hinsdale and Zurich are pretty much gone. There is the point between Harlem and Dodson , called Savoy where the schoolhouse still stands. It is used as a rural community center. My mother was born in the basement of that schoolhouse in 1933. Grandpa and Grandma were the teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by caver View Post
    Dig through my vacation photos at
    http://caver.smugmug.com/Vacation
    and you might find something of interest. Probably years 2004 and 2006 for Montana stuff.
    WOW, thanks for sharing those, GREAT PHOTOS!!!

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Name:  aak7b8.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  17.9 KB
    I always wondered about weather they were still burried there or not since their wooden grave markers are mounted to steel posts...as far as the locals go, I have to agree with you. Especially the Virginia City Follies group. They will not only perform for you, but during intermission and before and after they start their skits, they serve as hosts and hostesses and get you drinks, walk you to your seats as you enter, and really listen to what you have to say...even if it has nothing to do with the entertainment.

Man, that Montana has some real nice mines and old cabins. I'm with you, Joe, great photo's, Brad.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thread Information