Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Los Santos 聲geles de Guevavi and San Cayetano de Calabazas Missions

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default The Los Santos 聲geles de Guevavi and San Cayetano de Calabazas Missions

In the year 1691, Father Kino established the Los Santos 聲geles de Guevavi Mission by the Sonoita River in Southern Arizona. The ages, looters and Apache attacks have been most unkind to it. The Mission is now part of the National Park Service and is closed save for guided tours during the winter months.

The NPS Ranger. He's dressed as Juande Anza Bautista, the Spanish explorer of old. He knows his history well and is a wealth of knowledge of a forgotten age.

The ruins of the Los Santos 聲geles de Guevavi. Not much is left of this center of life for Arizonians over the years. The Mission suffered from bad luck and politics from abroad (the arrest of the Jesuits). By 1773, there were only nine families left, by 1776, the Mission was abandonded to fate.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Squatters, looters, collectors, neglect and the elements have reduced this Mission to what it stands today.

The San Cayetano de Calabazas Mission. This Mission was founded sometime between 1751 and 1756 by the Santa Cruz River in Southern Arizona or Pimeria Alta as it was called then.

H.L. Mencken

Vulture was on the tour with me and I know that he has shots of the Mission through the years, so, I'll let him post the age by age comparison. The San Cayetano de Calabazas Mission really took a hard pounding from looters over the year. The floor of river rock is gone. Yet I was able to glimpse a few pottery shrads in the area. You can see the holes that looters drove in the walls, looking for sudden wealth enabling them to have life of ease that they never found.
    The San Cayetano de Calabazas Mission was also the home of Fort Moore in 1856 and Camp Mason during the Civil War manned by California volunteers.
    Last edited by Joel; 02-10-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers

H.L. Mencken

If anyone in Southern Arizona is interested in touring this, the NPS has guided tours during the winter months. For more information regarding this:

http://www.nps.gov/tuma/

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default The ruination of a ruin...

Calabazas through the years, same view;

Looks like it's been pretty well stabilized since the 71' photo.

Starting this year visitors aren't allowed inside. It's still a great feeling to "stand where they stood." Thats San Cayetano peak in the distance.

Many thanks to Joel for this experience.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Vulture; 02-10-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Tumacocori...today's visit.
    Last edited by Vulture; 05-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Always neat to see. Thanks guys, for posting this series. I always like the shots "through the years". I've not been to the Calabazas site, gonna put it on the list.

Although it's sad to see the decomposition (everything decomposes over time), I enjoy looking at that old melted adobe and marveling at what once was.

Quote Originally Posted by campp View Post
    Always neat to see. Thanks guys, for posting this series. I always like the shots "through the years". I've not been to the Calabazas site, gonna put it on the list.

Although it's sad to see the decomposition (everything decomposes over time), I enjoy looking at that old melted adobe and marveling at what once was.
    Thanks man, here's one of Guevavi, 1889.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 02-11-2009 at 03:59 PM.

A century too late!

H.L. Mencken

Thank you Joel and Vulture! The photos are great, and make us stop and think of the time in which we live.

As my favorite author and friend Ernest K. Gann noted in his last book - "Time is the enemy of us all. In time even the rocks can disolve and dissapear" Perhaps this even applies to grave markers, and the adobe buildings and churches/missions in our favorite ghost towns. Unfortunately it is sped along by the looters, collectors and illeagles.

Norm, (who is challenged in grammer and spelling)

Thread Information