Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Josie Pearl's place (Nevada)

Tom, I am a long time admirer of Josie Peal. I read Schulmerich's book in 2004 when I was preparing to migrate to Winnemucca NV. I finally had the oportunity to visit Pearl Camp two months ago. I have pictures if you are intersested but they are much like the earlier pics you have seen in a earlier thread. These are pictures of the current state of Pearl camp. I am in contact with a friend of Josie's. I showed her pictures from my recent visit to the camp. She said that Josie's original house is long time gone and the other structers were not built by Josie. We are not sure who owns these current buildings, or property but I am intersted in that information. FYI: The friend who gave me this info also gave me a picture of Josie standing in the front of her cabin. It is AWESOME. I love you

Default part of my youth

Thanks for posting those pictures of Josies camp. They really brought me back! I lived there for a summer in 1967 when my father and uncle were working the Roberts Copper Mine. Old man Roberts from Caldwell Idaho I believe owned the camp at the time and using the camp was part of the deal of purchasing the mine. My mother cleaned it up and we used her home as our kitchen but we mostly lived in trailers that were brought up to have some creature comforts. We used the showers and I slept in the bunk beds in the back when company or certain workers were there. I would not sleep in there alone.
    We would sit outside on the porch after dinner and feel the cool breeze as the sun went down and the poplars would catch the wind. It was a bit of an oasis for travelers. They would stop by occasionally when they would end up on the roak from Leonard Creek. There was a dump site just below the camp that antique collectors would rummage through looking for treasures from previous times and mining camps. My uncle said that he expected that my mom was the first lady to cook in Josies house since she passed. It was a nice little cabin and a bit unexpected where it was located. When you were there you felt like you had your own little world even though Monteros ranch was not too far away. BLM men would come by occasionally and check the salt licks and springs. Cattle ranchers would also come through on the way to check on where the cattle had wandered off to.
    I did not see any pictures of the modern structures that were built at the site. Across from the garage were some concrete vats used to precipitate copper out of a leached solution. There was a water hole dug behind Josies house which was filled by the spring about an eigth of a mile above the camp. I used to swim in it but it was to cold to stay in very long. The sun did not hit there long enough to warm up the water.
    I had a love hate relationship with the place as I was a city kid and did not like being away from friends whenever I had to go out there. But once I was there I really enjoyed it especially if I knew I could go into town once in a while. We had two dogs and I had a pet porcupine there as well. There were mountain lions and rattlesnakes to deal with which made it a bit of an adventure. I loved to shoot a 22 rifle out at rocks and tin cans and targets. My brother in law came there and hunted one year and shot an antelope. It was hung to cure in a tunnel or cellar that was dug in the back of Josie's house. Not long after a mountain lion came and got into the cellar to get the meat. The dogs scared it away and my uncle shot into the air and it ran away. It was a bit nervous around there for a while. Rattlesnakes and bull snakes would set off the dogs and so you had to always watch where you walked and went around the camp.
    Josie was a legendary figure and many saw her as minings version of Annie Oakley. She was supposed to be very tough and lived at the camp until she died. My uncle and my father and mother had known her from many years before we lived at the camp. My father always dreamed of buying the place and makeing it into a dude resort of sorts and as a tribute to Josie. Keep the legend alive sort of thing. I have not been there for over 40 years and need to go back there before it is too late and take some pictures and possibly show my kids the place that I spent in the country as a young boy. I will want to see the desert sky at night especially when there is a meteor shower. It is a spectacular thing I will always remember from my time there. I don't think I ever saw more stars in any other sky that I have seen since. The solitude there is a feeling that I can feel to this day. It really is a rugged beautiful place in that region around Josie Pearls camp.

I would love to have a copy of the picture of Josie in front of her cabin if you are able and willing to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAS LOWELL POTTER View Post
    I would love to have a copy of the picture of Josie in front of her cabin if you are able and willing to post it.
    So would I!

Default Can update Josie Pearl's cabin

While this thread has been dormant for several years, I am hoping there are still folks interested in the topic. I have just returned from an extensive outback trip in Nevada which included my pilgrimage to Josie Pearl's cabin. If interest remains, I can post pix of the current condition. I wish I could see the photos posted earlier on this thread, but they are apparently not being hosted any longer.
    Last edited by beesong; 08-24-2016 at 06:31 AM.

Default Yes! Pix please

I also visited there awhile back and will post my pix.

Cheers,

-Chef Juke

Default Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by chefjuke View Post
    I also visited there awhile back and will post my pix.

Cheers,

-Chef Juke
    I am so glad to hear from you, Chef Juke! I was definitely hoping you'd catch my post. I will post pix after I'm done cleaning the desert out of my rig and teardrop trailer........I'm definitely eager to see yours. When were you there recently?

Default Pic of the site

Here is a panorama pic of the site in 2014.

Name:  josiecabin.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  98.7 KB

I love your panorama. I'm having trouble getting mine to upload (first time with this particular forum system). Will keep trying.

Later. No luck. Even though I reduced their size a lot, they all post very large and as though they're a collage. Guess I won't be able to put them up for you after all; so sorry.
    Last edited by beesong; 08-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Thread Information