Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona pioneer sweetheart of the month...

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Arizona pioneer sweetheart of the month...

Virginia Parker Hathaway,
    Miss March.

Age 18. Sweet & even tempered, born in 1895.

Her father sired an excellent Arizona pedigree. He being Jim Parker after which Parker canyon & lake are named.

She married Jim Hathaway, Deputy sheriff in Nogales whose exploits were so notorious they were written up in "Vital Detective" & "Startling Detective" magazines in the 30's & 40's.

She was an Arizona original & a beautiful lady in Levis.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-01-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

That's on old family. Never heard of Jim Hathaway. Any stories?
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    That's on old family. Never heard of Jim Hathaway. Any stories?
    Well lets see;

Jim was a local boy all his life, born at Lochiel in 1892. His father Lincoln taught school there & was also a customs officer, mother Nellie was the daughter of Lochiels judge Richard Harrison. Lincoln died when Jim was only 12, Nell remarried & Jim began living on his own, leaving home with his horse & gun roaming the mountains & high desert for days at a time.

Barely out of his teens in 1912
    & a true drifting cowboy he was eager for adventure. One night heading for his brothers place on the Nogales/Washington Camp road his senses were on high alert. He'd heard that an Indian outlaw from Sonora had his eye on Jim's prized horse & was boasting that he could steal it. Suddenly shots rang out from bushes beside the dark roadway. The bandit had underestimated his quarry, however. Within seconds Jim had his Colt 1911 automatic pistol out & was firing in the direction of the shots while spurring his horse madly. Soon a story was making the rounds that "an Indian got stung by a bee when he tried to steal Jim Hathaway's horse."

He also threw in with compadre's in the Mexican revolution & had countless adventures & misadventures on both sides of the border. He was an origonal.

Jim sporting a tie down rig.

Jim pop's a wheelie

His ranch in Parker canyon, now under the waters of Parker canyon lake.

He built this ranch on River road north of Nogales.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-13-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

The lovely Virginia died young with heart trouble & Jim was always restless after that. He seemed haunted by the men he had killed. The life he led was wild, real & sometimes wreckless. In 1954 on a roundup at his Parker canyon place he went to help out his cowboys with a particularly wild & aggressive cow. They got her into the corral & as Jim ran to close the gate she made a run for it. Jim stood blocking the way waving his arms & yelling to turn the cow. Instead it charged & gored him, throwing him into the air, he landed hard.
    The following day he passed away in a Tucson hospital.

His son Howard wrote, "So the man who in turn had pursued & evaded enemies seeking his demise for so many years had met his end because of the swift charge of a mad cow. Before my dad's funeral I wandered off alone into the hills east of the house. At random, I stopped on a knoll, sat on the ground & looked off towad Peterson peak. A breeze came along & made a soothing sound in the dry fall grass. I fancied the spirits of my dad & mom riding free with the wind over the country they love so well."

Jims father, Lincoln Hathaway, ready for duty as a customs officer.

The Hathaways at home.

Pulp fact.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quite a man! Tragic death. Just does to show that it's never the big things that we worry about, it's always the petty ones that get us in the end.

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Well lets see;

Jim was a local boy all his life, born at Lochiel in 1892. His father Lincoln taught school there & was also a customs officer, mother Nellie was the daughter of Lochiels judge Richard Harrison. Lincoln died when Jim was only 12, Nell remarried & Jim began living on his own, leaving home with his horse & gun roaming the mountains & high desert for days at a time.

Barely out of his teens in 1912
    & a true drifting cowboy he was eager for adventure. One night heading for his brothers place on the Nogales/Washington Camp road his senses were on high alert. He'd heard that an Indian outlaw from Sonora had his eye on Jim's prized horse & was boasting that he could steal it. Suddenly shots rang out from bushes beside the dark roadway. The bandit had underestimated his quarry, however. Within seconds Jim had his Colt 1911 automatic pistol out & was firing in the direction of the shots while spurring his horse madly. Soon a story was making the rounds that "an Indian got stung by a bee when he tried to steal Jim Hathaway's horse."

He also threw in with compadre's in the Mexican revolution & had countless adventures & misadventures on both sides of the border. He was an origonal.

Jim sporting a tie down rig.

Jim pop's a wheelie

His ranch in Parker canyon, now under the waters of Parker canyon lake.

He built this ranch on River road north of Nogales.

<
    Would you have any more photographs of Jim Hathaway? Or possibly direct me to where I could do some research on him?

Quote Originally Posted by katch View Post
    Would you have any more photographs of Jim Hathaway? Or possibly direct me to where I could do some research on him?
    My source is "Hidden treasures of Santa Cruz county, by Betty Barr." I bought my copy in Patagonia but it is available here;

http://www.brockingjbooks.com/

http://www.ghostriverimages.com/gall...rr_hidden.html

There is quite a bit more info on Jim in it...she also had a vol 2 but I haven't seen it.

Here's another of the Hathaway's;

Also see;

http://www.geocities.com/vpchuck/Hathaway.html

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 07-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Default Real nice stuff

Is lake Parker the same as Parker Dam?

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

No. Parker Dam is on the Colorado River in the western part of the state and Lake Parker is SE Arizona where Meritt Canyon once was.

H.L. Mencken

My Auntie and Father are the "Other" Hidden Treasures of James Hathaway. My Grandmother, Maria Vega and her husband, Ramon Vega, worked for Jim in the 30's. Maria gave birth to twins, my father and my auntie, in 1938/Nogales, AZ.
    I have met the judge [James Hathaway married to Carolyn] in Tucson, at his office before he retired to his ranch in Nogales. I asked him if he knew about my father and Auntie being his cousins and he said he did but no one spoke of such things then.
    I have also been in touch with Francis Marion Bittinger in Sun City. I told Francis that the book, by Betty Barr, has her birthdate listed incorrectly. Francis said it didn't matter since it was still in the same month.
    I have tried to tell my Auntie and father's story to reporters in AZ, including Betty Barr, but they did not want to talk to me.
    So, you see, there are lots of things that my wild Grandfather did! My Grandmother, Maria, died in Sept. 1954.....3 months before Jim was killed.
    It's so interesting to finally know who I am and why my father's side of the family is so law enforcement oriented, including me! Now I know!
    The family history is so very interesting and Virginia was a strong woman to be with Jim.

Thread Information