Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arizona pioneer sweetheart of the month...

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by knackfulknitter View Post
    My Auntie and Father are the "Other" Hidden Treasures of James Hathaway. My Grandmother, Maria Vega and her husband, Ramon Vega, worked for Jim in the 30's. Maria gave birth to twins, my father and my auntie, in 1938/Nogales, AZ.
    I have met the judge [James Hathaway married to Carolyn] in Tucson, at his office before he retired to his ranch in Nogales. I asked him if he knew about my father and Auntie being his cousins and he said he did but no one spoke of such things then.
    I have also been in touch with Francis Marion Bittinger in Sun City. I told Francis that the book, by Betty Barr, has her birthdate listed incorrectly. Francis said it didn't matter since it was still in the same month.
    I have tried to tell my Auntie and father's story to reporters in AZ, including Betty Barr, but they did not want to talk to me.
    So, you see, there are lots of things that my wild Grandfather did! My Grandmother, Maria, died in Sept. 1954.....3 months before Jim was killed.
    It's so interesting to finally know who I am and why my father's side of the family is so law enforcement oriented, including me! Now I know!
    The family history is so very interesting and Virginia was a strong woman to be with Jim.
    Well, this is an interesting & completely unexpected addition to the story. It is surprising that Betty Barr isn't open to including new information as she gives quite a bit of coverage to Jim Hathaway's adventures. Judge James Hathaway is new to me, I belive that Jim's grandfather was the Lochiel Judge Harrison.

Your grandfather led an incredible life, thats for sure. Any more stories you can add here I'me sure would be of great interest to many of us.
    Last edited by Vulture; 01-24-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Hello- my name is Alfred Brown from Calexico,Ca. Virginia Parker Hathaway was my grandmother's sister. My grandmother's name was Clara Elizabeth Parker. She married my grandfather,Harold J. Brown,who at one time served as sheriff of Santa cruz county, back in the 1920's.My father,Harold J. brown was born in 1917 in Nogales,az. I guess the Parker family was very well known in the Nogales area.I remember my dad saying that my grandfather was one of the founders and charter members of the Nogales Elks club.It's funny,bu t I was in the Border patrol,and never knew that Lon parker,My granmother's relative was killed in the line of duty as a border patrol agent. Any light you can shed on the Brown or Parker family or Nogales will be greatly appreciated. thanks ,Alfred Brown

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by awb80@hotmail.com View Post
    Hello- my name is Alfred Brown from Calexico,Ca. Virginia Parker Hathaway was my grandmother's sister. My grandmother's name was Clara Elizabeth Parker. She married my grandfather,Harold J. Brown,who at one time served as sheriff of Santa cruz county, back in the 1920's.My father,Harold J. brown was born in 1917 in Nogales,az. I guess the Parker family was very well known in the Nogales area.I remember my dad saying that my grandfather was one of the founders and charter members of the Nogales Elks club.It's funny,bu t I was in the Border patrol,and never knew that Lon parker,My granmother's relative was killed in the line of duty as a border patrol agent. Any light you can shed on the Brown or Parker family or Nogales will be greatly appreciated. thanks ,Alfred Brown
    Well, Hi Alfred, glad you found this thread. Maybe it is a little more info than you already knew...? Thanks for fleshing it out a bit more with some family history. It is a story that is interesting to many of us. I wish I could add more to it but I can't. I know I would be interested to hear more about your family though. Any photo's?

Funny how this thread pop's up now & again. We've had a Hathaway descendant check in & a Parker relative. I think it is a very important story & Virginia is an iconic Arizona pioneer lady. Hey you Parkers & Hathaways...talk to each other & let us know what comes out of that.

I hope this keeps going.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 05-10-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

This post was edited because I had the wrong name
    Last edited by Kara; 10-06-2011 at 05:44 PM.

My name is Kara. I am the life partner of Todd Collin Hathaway. Todd's father was Glenn Harrison Hathaway (son of Lincoln and Virginia Hathaway), who died in a motorcycle accident in 2002. We live in Tucson, and have two sons....Collin Harrison Hathaway (9) and Kyle Benjamin Hathaway (4). We have the book Hidden Treasure of Santa Cruz County, which has been a blessing to read. I am wondering how Todd is related to the Jim Hathaway in the book. It is wonderful to learn about family history. I do remember meeting an elderlay lady named Virginia at the funeral.
    Last edited by Kara; 10-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Hi Kara,
    Sorry I don't know any more about the family as my source is the same book you have. Glad you left a message & added to the story though. Let us know if you find out more.

<

Default Jim Hathaway, Parkers

Jim Hathaway is my grandfather. The oldest child in the family photos is my father James Howard, who passed away in the year 2000. Virgie Parker is my grandmother.

We were always told that my grandmother Virgie's aunt was Cynthia Ann Parker, mother of the Kiowa chief Quanah Parker. She was taken captive when she was a young girl. I have not been able to find out much about her life after she was forcibly returned to her family.
    My father wrote a history of Jim's life, parts of which appeared in Betty Barr's books. A family member copyrighted this story immediately after my father died and did not release further info. I do have copies and would be happy to share information with those looking for family or Nogales history.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Well, this is an interesting & completely unexpected addition to the story. It is surprising that Betty Barr isn't open to including new information as she gives quite a bit of coverage to Jim Hathaway's adventures. Judge James Hathaway is new to me, I belive that Jim's grandfather was the Lochiel Judge Harrison.

Your grandfather led an incredible life, thats for sure. Any more stories you can add here I'me sure would be of great interest to many of us.
    Judge James David Hathaway passed away in February 2014. His father was William Hathaway and mother was Mary McIntyre.
    James (Jim) Wilson Hathaway's father was Lincoln Hathaway and mother Nell Harrison....and, yes, Judge Harrison was Jims grandfather on his mothers side.
    My family tree has everything to make it clear to me. I will search and get back as I think William and Lincoln were brothers.

There is a picture of Jim as the sheriff of Santa Cruz County in 1929 on their website under past sheriffs.
    I found, an in depth family tree through the Hathaway Family Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    My name is Kara. I am the life partner of Todd Collin Hathaway. Todd's father was Glenn Harrison Hathaway (son of Lincoln and Virginia Hathaway), who died in a motorcycle accident in 2002. We live in Tucson, and have two sons....Collin Harrison Hathaway (9) and Kyle Benjamin Hathaway (4). We have the book Hidden Treasure of Santa Cruz County, which has been a blessing to read. I am wondering how Todd is related to the Jim Hathaway in the book. It is wonderful to learn about family history. I do remember meeting an elderlay lady named Virginia at the funeral.
    If Todd's grandfather was Lincoln Luis Hathaway born in 1920 then Todd's great grandfather was William Hathaway (1890) married to Mary McIntyre. William and Jim were brothers. Their parents were Joel Lincoln and Nell (Harrison) Hathaway.

Thread Information