Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio and Florida

Default Ohio and Florida

anyone know of anything good in ohio or central florida.......i got to make it through Junction City Prison in Ohio before they tore it down, same with the Mud House Mansion before they put up a big BRIGHT light......

Macclenny,FL has the old jail which has a gallows (built in 1918 iirc). It's worth a visit during Halloween. The upper floor was used to house insane inmates until they could be transferred elsewhere. The jail was closed down in the 1970's due to horrible conditions the inmates endured. My dad was actually jailed there as a teenager for running moonshine in the early 1960's. Worth a visit, but be sure to talk to the Baker County Historical Society about visiting. They are usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

its hard to find much stuff in florida cause its either WAAAAAY out in the middle of a swamp with no access or there is a housing development setting on it.......i have thought about taking a trip down to the infamous Rosewood though......the same Rosewood where several hundred african american's were slaughtered because of one lie.......

What kind of places are you looking for? It sounds like you're interested in something more than a normal ghost town. The book Weird Florida by Charlie Carlson is filled with all sorts or odd out of the ordinary spots around the whole state. It's worth getting and sites like Ebay, Half.com and Amazon usually always have reasonable copies

That book is how I found out about Castle Otttis, and last month my wife and I got married there

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Smile

Congratulations And best wishes to Mr. and Mrs. Mainmanwalkin!

Name:  Spock Hand.jpg
Views: 9137
Size:  11.8 KB

Thanks Laura, the whole wedding and reception went extremely well, and having the ceremony inside the castle was just amazing

Let me know if you find anything good in Ohio and whereabouts in Ohio. I'm originally from there but never got around to looking for any ghost towns there, though I wouldn't imagine there really being any ghost towns there from what I remember of it.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Solomon's Castle is in florida and its interesting......

www.forgottenoh.com for you Rachel

Default Kerr City

Kerr City (privately owned) near Salt Springs has a number of homes, stage coach road through town, cemetery, PO, and the oldest Texaco station in FL. Just make sure you check in before you explore the property. You might get a guided tour.

Down south (near Estero) there is the Koreshan Settlement that is completly intact and a national or county park. It was kept in the family for years until donated to the State.

Neither are in a swamp.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Woodfin View Post
    Kerr City (privately owned) near Salt Springs has a number of homes, stage coach road through town, cemetery, PO, and the oldest Texaco station in FL. Just make sure you check in before you explore the property. You might get a guided tour.

Down south (near Estero) there is the Koreshan Settlement that is completly intact and a national or county park. It was kept in the family for years until donated to the State.

Neither are in a swamp.
    Mike
    well that takes all the fun out of it.......lol

thanks for the tips guys and gals, i appreciate it.....

Thread Information