Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of Clantons' ranch

Default Location of Clantons' ranch

Has anyone been to the site of the Clantons' ranch near Tombstone, AZ?
    (These were Old Man Clanton, Ike, Billy and Phineas, some of who dusted it up with the Earps near the OK Corral.)
    I've read that much of the ranch burned, but that there still may be some adobe standing. Would appreciate any directions on how to get there.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by JavelinaJ View Post
    Has anyone been to the site of the Clantons' ranch near Tombstone, AZ?
    (These were Old Man Clanton, Ike, Billy and Phineas, some of who dusted it up with the Earps near the OK Corral.)
    I've read that much of the ranch burned, but that there still may be some adobe standing. Would appreciate any directions on how to get there.
    I have researched this & found five different locations in five (should be) reliable sources.

I think the correct location is about 2 1/2 miles north from hwy 90 on the west side of the San Pedro, directly across the river from the Lewis springs site.

There are old adobe ruins, more modern block ruins & as of 5 years ago a corral down hill towards the river. There was a BLM marker also.

It's a great hike.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-10-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

http://clantongang.com/oldwest/ranch2.htm
    From Terry "Ike" Clanton's site.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Vulture is correct.

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...eferrerid=5240

There is some doubt as to who was settled there though.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

The site of the Clanton Ranch is covered on the USGC topo Lewis Springs. It is up near the upper right hand corner of the map right above the 35' grid. It's marked as a black box and indicated as a ruin.

I was there back in 1990 and recall that it was fairly easy to find.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quite right. Just find the Escapule Trail and you'll be there.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel and Vulture are correct, as I was there just a few years ago, and the Escapule Trail is the remains of the old road that ran by the Clanton Ranch. The adobe corner where the NE corner of the ranch house is, was still standing at that time. There's also some bricks/blocks that were made in Douglas (and marked so) that verifys that you're in the right place. Great place to visit.......

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default A little contention...

It's interesting how much disagreement there is on this. Billy Breakenridge, who should know puts the Clanton's ranch north of Charleston, as does Jack Burrows in his book on Ringo. Michael Hickey, in his book on Ringo gets the ranch loction right,but everything else in the book is suspect.

Whats most surprising is that the BLM got it right.

go figure....

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 05-15-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default Watch the movie first

Don't go lookin' without first watching John Ford's classic, My Darling Clementine. It stars Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp, Victor Mature as Doc Holliday, and walter brennan as "Old Man Clanton."

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

One of my favorite movies...Walter Brennan, great as Old man Clanton, Fonda great, Ward Bond great...But why was Victor Mature as Doc just wearing socks in the OK corral shootout...??? somebody please explain that to me.

<

Thread Information