Thread: Another abandoned fort....Fort Stevens, Oregon

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Another abandoned fort....Fort Stevens, Oregon

Here's another one of those abandoned forts. This time it's Fort Stevens in Oregon. Just remember folks, these photos were taken some time ago so things may have changed drastically over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    Here's another one of those abandoned forts. This time it's Fort Stevens in Oregon. Just remember folks, these photos were taken some time ago so things may have changed drastically over the years.
    I for one like to see the before and after shots so getting back to see those places is so enjoyable. I also like to find the "hard to find" places...one's that were there and are now gone, just to see the area and wonder what events took place at those locations...imagination can be a good thing! ...and again, GREAT PICS!!!

I think it's a state park as well.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
    -Groucho Marx

My Photos

My Photo Blog

Go Geocaching: www.geocaching.com

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
    -Groucho Marx

My Photos

My Photo Blog

Go Geocaching: www.geocaching.com

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Those forts were awesome, and state of the art - - Until they went and invented those darned airplanes...

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I've been there, and I don't remember so many houses being present. It was about 10 years ago that I visited.

However, the bottom photograph is of the artillery stations, and I went inside there with a tour group. There were miniature railroads on the floors and, I think, the ceilings so they could push around big carts of ordinance and reload the heavy guns quickly.

The tour guide told me that the fort actually saw "action" against the Japanese in WWII, because it fired on a submarine out at sea. It was more of a series of warning shots, and they didn't hit it.

A great place to tour and spend an afternoon.

Fort Stevens, technically Battery Russel to the south never actually fired upon the Japanese Submarine. It fired between 13 and 17 shots trying to provoke a response to gauge the shore defenses for a possible landing. The commander of the Battery held fire because his guns could not reach the submarine.

The same submarine later went south and launched a plane that bombed the forests outside Brookings. It started a fire but it was quickly put under control.

The Captain of the Submarine and the Pilot both later visited Brookings in the 1960. The pilot gave his family sword to the town as an apology and actually visited several times before he died in the 1990's. The sword is still on display and was removed from the town hall to the history museum in 1995 or so.
    Last edited by hamellr; 09-10-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

More dream like ruins!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Fort Stevens itself is rapidly falling apart, but there are several groups trying hard to save it. They've even been able to restore one of the cannons and actually fire it off on Memorial Day Weekend.

Then there is a Civil War era recreation group that is involved too.

You can see in the background how little the buildings have changed. But when you get close you notice that the concrete is breaking apart badly. Huge sections of the underground parts such as the old ammo rooms are closed off to public entrance. Several of the observation posts are closed.
    Last edited by hamellr; 09-10-2014 at 07:24 AM.

I was there two years ago and found Battery Russell and the surrounding area in much better shape than when it was when I visited 20+ years before.

There are replica cannons and information boards to show how the batteries used to function. There was also a replica Native American lodge constructed nearby.

I love that area and wish I could have stayed at the park, but the campground was booked solid in the summer.

Thread Information