Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monte Cristo

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Monte Cristo

Here is an update of the Monte Cristo area as of 8-17-08.

pic 1. Railroad track under the path leading up to Monte Cristo. (the floods really did a number here)

pic 2. Monte Cristo power house.

pic 3. Turntable to turn the train around.

pic 4. Shack due east from power house as you come in to town.

pic 5. (Map) of main thoroughfare of town to give a perspective of what the town looked like since its buildings are pretty much gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Darin; 03-12-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Here are a few more pics of the area...

first two pics are of the local garage, the last two pics are of Commander Kyes cabin and the only headstone located in the town/cemetary.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Default Love it

The Commander Kyes story is such a cool one. Anybody else read the book about Monte Cristo? fascinating.

Great pictures - I love Monte Cristo.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Great shots, did you submit those to the Monte Cristo page on the site?

About how long a drive is it from Bellevue to the trail head? is it a fairly easy hike?

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Great shots. I don't know the history of Monte Crisco at all. Any chance of a re-hash?
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Are people still living up there? They were back in the mid-80's the last time I was up there.

We hiked the five miles in, but got to ride a few miles since one of the residents gave us a ride in. It think that was the beer run!

Is the hydro power plant still up and running? They gave us a tour when we there, pretty cool to have all your power come from the creek about 200 feet up the hill.

My roommate at the time and I went up one side of the mountain went about a half mile into one of the mines. Knowing what I know now, it was crazy stupid, but it was pretty interesting at the time.

Al

Default fascinating

there are some folks with cabins, but I think most of the residents are part-time. after the road washed out in the 80's, that was the end of full-time residents and the hotel. the book is a REALLY good read - page turner! here is a link for that:

http://www.amazon.com/Monte-Cristo-P...7219131&sr=8-6

and a link for the preservation association:

http://www.mcpa.us/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
    About how long a drive is it from Bellevue to the trail head? is it a fairly easy hike?

Tom
    Tom, it's about an hour drive from the Bellevue area and the hike in is a fairly easy one except for crossing the river where the bridge was washed out. The four mile hike did seem like five but I have done it twice now and I would go back and do it again at any time. People living there are there on a part time basis (summer cabins) and not sure of the road they take to get in with their vehicles. My next journey up that way will be looking for the Speary-Iverson cabin above the mine located near "Big Four".

As far as submitting the photos on the site...not yet.

Thanks Danny for the help with town info. Don't know too much about the town myself.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Tom, it's about an hour drive from the Bellevue area and the hike in is a fairly easy one except for crossing the river where the bridge was washed out. The four mile hike did seem like five but I have done it twice now and I would go back and do it again at any time. People living there are there on a part time basis (summer cabins) and not sure of the road they take to get in with their vehicles. My next journey up that way will be looking for the Speary-Iverson cabin above the mine located near "Big Four".

As far as submitting the photos on the site...not yet.
    I simply must go there on my next visit which I would like to do next year if I can. I've seen Lester and other sites, but never got around to Monte Cristo.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

You'll enjoy it for sure!!!

Thread Information