Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Campfire Meals

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Campfire Meals

I'm assuming there are a number of campers here who combine GT trips with camping.

So what are your fave campfire meals?

I enjoy burgers and a plate of beans.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Steak and potato salad or coleslaw. YUMMY!!!

Of course, there's always Dinty Moores in a pinch

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Anything from an M.R.E. (meal ready to eat) to catching my own fish and frying it up with mushrooms and tater tots to hotdogs and hamburgers...just won't touch anything that Bear Grills eats.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wink

When I was active in Scouts, I got hooked on Hobo dinners. You know, hamburger or the like, taters, onions, carrots and what have you safely wrapped in tin foil and tossed on the coals. Many old scouters decried these meals and the kids professed to dislike them, but all ate hardy and seemed to enjoy once it was said and done. They were probably looked down upon because it was one of the first campfire meals learned and folks thought it was beneath them. My next favorite is almost anything cooked in a dutch oven by a guy or gal who knows what they're doing. OJ

Default Get a good start!

Home made chorizo, salsa, eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage and a big flower tortilla. Cook up, fill your tortilla. Roll up, and ENJOY ! Yum…
    Gets you started right in the AM!
    You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by And so become yourself!

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Almost anything made in a dutch oven. I say almost as I haven't tried to dutch oven a rock or dirt yet. But everything else is pretty much like crack to me.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wink

For the younger set...I've learned and taught Dutch oven Pizza & other (fast foods). When done correctly, the youngsters and adults love it....There are a few pros around, and I ain't one. But anything can be done with Dutch Ovens. In my experience, the best place to learn is those good deal classes taught through the Boy Scouts. Mac

Hey Froggy

I want to go camping with you

I'll wash the dishes
    Last edited by JoeZona; 03-19-2009 at 06:08 PM.

When on multiple day camping trips, I generally eat from a can. The only meal I do enjoy making is breakfast. So other than eggs, some sausage and hashbrown potato patties, everything else is canned or meal in a cup.

After a long day of exploring and driving, I'm not in the mood to make a big deal out of making something and the dishes afterwards.

But tailgate cooking of breakfast on the old Coleman and cast iron skillet, along with my morning coffee on the tailgate in the morning light, that is magic!
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Default Food is Food

Depends on why I am camping! Fresh Deer Liver grilled with some onions after a good day of hunting! My fri9end who has patience cooks the best steaks, Baked potato in the coals at a race in Baja after pitting for hopefully the winner, Breakfast like Froggy describes cooked on a Coleman or a 1/4 pound hot dog one stick over a fire all have their appeal! So does a quick trip to Scolari's in Tonopah for a pre-cooked chicken if your tired! After all - food is food after a day of adventure! A dutch oven cooked desert sure tops off any dinner however!
    Yet Another Bob

Thread Information