Thread: El Tiradito and the Elysian Grove

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default El Tiradito and the Elysian Grove

It's not a ghost town and it's history is vague, murky, wrapped in rumor, truth and half truth.
    El Tiradito is on the National Register of Historical Places. It's also known as a wishing shrine. It's believed to be the only shrine in the United States dedicated to a sinner buried outside of consecrated ground. The story may be right, it maybe be wrong. I can tell you that snippets on the internet are wrong. Ghosts do not light the candles at night. Ladies come in their cars, light the candles, pay tribute and mediate on what is on their minds and leave. I've seen it before first hand many times. Haunted it is not.
    I've pieced the story together from the historical marker and a web site run by a local artist. http://www.stujenks.com/stories/tiradito.html
    In the 1870's at some point this started as a shrine. Supposedly, it was where a young man who made the mistake of falling in love with his mother-in-law was buried. A love triangle of the worse kind. His father-in-law discovered the affair and murdered him.
    One must remember that this sprang up in the days before motion pictures, radio, television and such commonalities as DVDs, CDs.
    A day where most stories and tales as such were told from person to person. A very early sop opera drama before such things were being broadcast over the airwaves.

"Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Supposedly, over the years a story about a wish being granted if one's candle burned down became enmeshed with the lore.

H.L. Mencken

To some, the story might be silly, but as you can see from the heavy build up of wax, the people still come after more than a century. Lore, myth and everyday life all merge into one.

The Elysian Grove has no stunning tales as such.

H.L. Mencken

It vanished just less than a century ago. Some remnants of the name still carry on today. Forgotten and unheard of by most. All this can be found in downtown Tucson.

H.L. Mencken

Default Question?

Joel, great photos, but am curious as there are holes in the mud brick work with pieces of white something, what are they? I am thinking prayer paper.
    Sorry for ignorance to the religious people, reminds me of the story my pop told me. he visited jesuses mothers house ( no i dont no the street adress! ) he said they had a wire wall and the tourist buses would pull up and they would all get out, look at the house and write a prayer paper and poke into the wire wall. When the buses left a man would jump out of the bushes with a flame thrower and burn them all, and then the process would repeat with the next lot of buses. Pop missed his bus and was left behind, yes he was looking at some house ruins outside the confined area. So just curious as if they also have people who do this job at these shrines.
    rev dr g
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

I suspect that you're correct. I never have seen anyone place or remove paper there though, but it does look like it was done once. I'm not very knowledgeable about metaphysics either. I've been going to a restaurant just north of the shrine for over 20 years and have heard many tales regarding it. I was there the other night with my folks for dinner and decided to Google it. Imagine my horror when I saw that folks who had never been there were claiming it's haunted. I've never heard those tales here. It seems to be something that folks from so very far away tell each other and like a disease it gets passed.
    Obviously, something adobe was there once, but can fact ever be separated from fiction regarding it after 1870?

I understand Vulture's frustration. Roadside shrines seem to be more common year after year here. What use to be rare is now a dime a dozen.

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nothing says 3rd world like a Mexican roadside shrine.

Welcome to America's future...suckers!

I've seen it going on here for years.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-22-2009 at 04:41 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information