Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film Location Scouting - any help?

Default Film Location Scouting - any help?

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and love what I've seen so far.

I live in Northern California, and am looking for a specific type of location for a film shoot I'm working on. Hopefully, there's something up by me. But I'm guessing that the location I'm looking for might only exist in Southern California (Mojave Desert) or in the Nevada/Arizona regions.

Any help would be appreciated I definitely plan on being respectful to whatever location I end up shooting in.

Here are the details:

-Desert (preferably flat and rocky)
    -very little vegetation (just the occasional bush/weed)
    -mountains/hills in the distance

-Two buildings by themselves: one that might have been an inn, and then a stable nearby
    **if there's only one building, that's fine. I just don't want it to look like a town. Needs to be an outpost**
    -Buildings can be in bad condition, but not quite rotting. We'd like to have some people walk around inside them safely.

Does this sound like anything you've seen/heard about?

I'm thinking of checking out Wonder Valley and maybe Bodie, CA this weekend (although Bodie looks more green and hilly). Maybe drive over to the Fernley/Fallon, NV region.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Contact the Mineral County, Nevada Chamber of Commerce and/or the Hawthorne Boy Scouts. They may cut you a deal on the use of Poinsettia for your endeavor.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Thank you Rockcrusher!

I will make contact and see if it's a good fit.

While I was able to find a lot of information on Mineral County and Hawthorne, I wasn't so lucky with Poinsettia. Do you have any more info on what exactly Poinsettia is? Is it a small town in Mineral County?

Thanks again for your help. And if you (or anyone else) think of another good place for me to check out, please let me know. I'm always down for a good drive.

Take care,
    Dan

Poinsettia is an old cinnabar mining camp NE of Hawthorne. There are 3 or 4 buildings and it is now used by the Boy Scouts.

Google "Poinsettia Mine"
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

If you're heading out into Nevada, there's an abandoned ranch on the southeastern edge of the Black Rock Desert near the Haycroft Mine just west of the ghost town of Sulphur. Good roads north from Lovelock, or go east from Gerlach. Nice view over the Black Rock playa, which is about a mile or so away. Distant mountains. The ranch has about six or so buildings scattered widely and most are of railroad tie construction. Most of the buildings were obviously used for living quarters.

I don't know if the laws of Nevada or individual counties require permits for film shooting, especially commercial endevours. Is your intended film commercial, or are you a student making a short film? The ranch is in Humboldt County, Winnemucca being the county seat. You might be able to determine the answer to any permits required via their website. I think the ranch is still private property (although there are no signs indicating no tresspassing, but a friend of mine knows he former owner, who lives now in Winnemucca), BLM controls the land around it.

Email me at sagebrushreconnoiterer@gmail.com for more info.
    Last edited by David A. Wright; 03-25-2009 at 10:04 AM.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    If you're heading out into Nevada, there's an abandoned ranch on the southeastern edge of the Black Rock Desert near the Haycroft Mine just west of the ghost town of Sulphur. Good roads north from Lovelock, or go east from Gerlach. Nice view over the Black Rock playa, which is about a mile or so away. Distant mountains. The ranch has about six or so buildings scattered widely and most are of railroad tie construction. Most of the buildings were obviously used for living quarters.

I don't know if the laws of Nevada or individual counties require permits for film shooting, especially commercial endevours. Is your intended film commercial, or are you a student making a short film? The ranch is in Humboldt County, Winnemucca being the county seat. You might be able to determine the answer to any permits required via their website. I think the ranch is still private property (although there are no signs indicating no tresspassing, but a friend of mine knows he former owner, who lives now in Winnemucca), BLM controls the land around it.

Email me at sagebrushreconnoiterer@gmail.com for more info.
    David, I wonder if this is the same place. This set of buildings is northeast of Sulphur by about 5-6 miles and almost directly north of the active gold mine just east of Sulphur. GE doesn't show any buildings that I can see. It is on the road to Winnemucca, about 50 miles to the east.

You can see from the pics how smoky the air was in NW NV last summer due to the uncontrolled forest fires in CA; one of the disappointments from our trip out there last year.

More here: http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...8_12/index.htm

Good luck to the OP.

Al
    Last edited by Albin; 03-26-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Another idea is Seven Troughs ghost town, about 30 miles south of Sulphur, NV. It's on the western edge of a desert valley with mountains to the west and the desert valley off to the east.

Four pics below for examples, more here: http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...8_10/index.htm

Beautiful pics...........Speedy

Another idea is Sand Pass Siding, NV, about 35 SW of Gerlach, NV. There is an abandoned house there; it's been abandoned since at least the mid-80's.

We last visited there summer of 2006. While I don't have a pic of the house itself, the pic below will show what you see from the house, this was taken right in front of it, looking to the north.

In the pic below, Gerlach is just over the first set of mountains just above the windshield on my Toyota; that's the Smoke Creek Desert in background.

One possible downside is that this is located on the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation - I have no clue what requirements they would have, if any, to film on the reservation. The other possible negative is that the main east-west rail line runs right behind the house and up the east side (to the right in this pic) of the SMD, so shots would have to be taken carefully, if not wanted to be shown.

The house itself is located at 40.259984 -119.780013 (copy & paste this into GE and it will take you right to it).

You can also see why I didn't take any pics of the house, since I had higher priority items to take care of at the time. When I took this pic, is the first time I knew I had a problem. Doh!

Good luck.

Al

Thank you everyone for all the great tips! I really appreciate it.

I should be checking these Nevada locations out in the next couple weeks, so I'll report back with my findings and some photos.

Take care,
    Dan

Thread Information