Thread: Gilman Colorado - Highly Patrolled

Default Gilman Colorado - Highly Patrolled

Okay,

So as many of you surely know, Gilman is a very enticing town to explore having had a relatively large population and being quite recent compared to many others in the state. Upon a recent trip to the town to examine some remnants, well, the seven of us about went to Jail. We were informed by the squad of Eagle County Sheriffs as well as Minturn Police that the entire location is a superfund site and they have stepped up the security in the area. We informed them our intentions were solely to explore and were fortunate enough to get off with a warning. I would highly advise against visiting this town, even with 8' snow drifts the local law enforcement have it locked down. It is also a superfund site, which I believe I recall the officer mentioning it as a class five felony offense/criminal trespassing.Anyways, just wanted to confirm another claim I had read stating that security had been increased.

Happy Trails,

CO_MEDIC

Default Is that super fund as in retirement?

Ok need clarification!, What is a super fund site? Sounds like a landbank for retirement.
    All thanks
    rev dr g
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

Seems a bit odd.
    His first post, and only a warning about visiting a ghost town.
    Makes me a bit suspicious look at the tags, too

Here's some interesting stuff on Gilman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilman,_Colorado Seems it's private property.

Coincidence, but I worked for NJ Zinc as an underground hard rock miner in '73 in their Sterling Hill mine in NJ.
    Last edited by JoeZona; 03-30-2009 at 05:45 PM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by rev dr g View Post
    Ok need clarification!, What is a super fund site?

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Default In your debt!

Thanks Garyb, once again.
    I was looking under super fund, ( the gap and the fact i was google in Australia ) and it was very upsetting ( My super fund for when i retire that is ) to see your superfund and my super fund have a lot in common, both are worthless to me and the government.
    rev dr g
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

I grew up in Gilman. My house was at the end of Main Street next to the Staff House. I went to school in Redcliff until 3rd Grade when my family and I moved to Leadville because the town was closing. I went back in '97 to visit and almost got arrested as well. There is a chalkboard in the Shaft House for the mine with peoples' names on it as though they are supposed to show up for work tomorrow, and my father's name is on it, along with several other relatives, and my uncle's ashes are spread there as he used to be the surface tram operator. It is such gorgeous country, I wish I could have stayed...

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Interesting place. It not only looks highly patrolled, but highly endangered too with all the talk of development.

Default Patrolled on HW 24?

Did the 7 of you park at the main entrance to HW 24 when the sheriff's and police stopped you? Just curious.

Has Gin begun development, or is it still sitting undeveloped but patrolled? And did the 7 of you park at the main entrance on hw 24 when the sheriff almost arrested you?

Thread Information