Thread: Continuing on in the Mother Lode, Nevada City, part 11

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Continuing on in the Mother Lode, Nevada City, part 11

A bustling, colorful little town full of historic buildings from the gold rush era.

Oh yeah, that's my 56 green Chevy in the first couple of pictures. Wish I still had it. Remember the old canvas water bags hanging from the front bumper (like the one on my Chevy). You always had one if you were traveling a long distance especially out in the boonies.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Classy pictures, classy cars....Don, you da man!!!!

Don...........The 56' Chevy was always my favorite, and not the 55' or 57' that so many folks tend to go after. I had a 57' 210 in the same ugly two-tone green that decked out your 56'. I wonder if Clint Walker from "Cheyenne" Bodey fame still lives in the Grass Valley/Nevada City area. Heck, for all I know he may not still be with us. Thanks......

Don, you take a very professional looking photograph. I wish I had the eye for it like you do.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

I had a 56 and a 57 two door hardtops, both with Corvette engines and four speeds. Foolishly, sold them both a long time ago when they were not worth that much money.

Oh well.

Great photos as always.

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    Don, you take a very professional looking photograph. I wish I had the eye for it like you do.

NJ
    Thanks NJ, I really don't do anything special. The camera does all the work. I just push the button. All this ghost town stuff I've posted is of course from slide scans and goes back many years. I've since gone 100% digital and most of the railroad stuff on my home page is just that. With the Gt stuff I tend to shoot more documentary style and just try and record the buildings or main subject. With the railroad stuff I go for more of the scenery as many of them get published. Either way, nothing special and I just enjoy shooting pictures.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

That really is a pretty little town.

I was in Nevada City in 99' and had been admiring the old cemetery...a local resident told me that they had just finished the clean up of a few headstones that had been desicraed by graffiti the night before. She said that was the first time that had ever happened. I hated to hear that. It just goes to show how pervasive the rot from the cities has become.

On a cheery note, nice Cheeby mon! I always liked the 56's best.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 07-28-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Don, if capturing great shots were are easy as you say there'd be a lot more memorable photos like yours out there.

Cool "old" cars (even a Lincoln Continental with black vinyl top!) among the cool old buildings.

I've been including cars in the family photos I take so that one day my kids or grandkids will marvel over the cool old cars therein (e.g. my 2009 Subaru Outback).

Thread Information