Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Reno/Roosevelt Ruins

Default Camp Reno/Roosevelt Ruins

This question should be right up Laura's alley. as I was exploring in her backyard last week, and need some info on Camp Reno, and the Roosevelt Ruins. We headed up Reno Pass to the top of the saddle, but later found out the remains of Camp Reno are off of FS Rd. 409.Is that true? We could see some rock walls from on top of the mesa north of the area, and were wondering if that was the remains. Also, had a great time at Roosevelt Ruins,where it's rumored an old breastplate,and old musket were retrieved years ago from a tree where it had actually grown around the musket. Any help would be appreciated.......

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hi there Flatiron, Here's a link to a post I did regarding Camp Reno.Camp Reno - Ghosttowns.com Forums
    The true Camp Reno is located off of FR 524, the site on FR 409 with the sign erected was actually a general store, serving the soldiers of Camp Reno. I don't know why the forest service has it mislabeled on most maps. The rock walls you saw might have been the defense walls put up by the cavalry soldiers to defend the area around the store.
    You're lots braver than we are, we've never been over Reno Pass, not even as far as the saddle, I still hate those extreme heights, always will. What was the condition of the pass? Is there a place to turn around easily up there if we go and I chicken out?
    I'm not familiar with the "Roosevelt Ruins" unless we know them by another name, we've been to quite a few ruins in the area, but don't know most of them by name. Where are they located?... they sound interesting.
    If you need further information, let me know, I'll be glad to help as best I can.

Laura.............Thanks for the info on Camp Reno. We'll be back in the area in the fall, so we'll check it out. Reno Pass is definitely a rough 4WD road with some pretty good ruts and off-camber sections with steep drop-offs. Nice and challenging, but doable for a Jeep. Roosevelt Ruins is located on top of a hill above Thompson Mesa, south of Boyer Canyon, NE of Dutchwoman Butte, and east of Salome wilderness. It's supposedly the ruins of a Spanish fort, but I tend to think that's speculative. There's quite a few rock walls spread out over a pretty good sized area with 360 degree views. It was a nice place to visit, as we also headed down to the old Boyer Cabin which sits in a little oasis with many blackberry bushes ( and poison oak) and large oaks. There's still an old cook stove in the cabin, that I can't believe some vandal or thief hasn't tried to haul out of there. Maybe the road in is a deterrent. Also, have you checked out the Jolene Mine at he top of El Oso Rd.? I don't know much about it's history, but will research it when I get a chance. Thanks again.........

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Ah ha! Boyer Cabin, Thompson Mesa, great place! Yes, we've been to the ruins overlooking Thompson Mesa. I sorta doubt too that those were Spanish ruins, more than likely Indian. We've crawled all over those walls looking for "stuff" but found nothing. A friend of ours' whose family helped settle this area, says at one time there were a few houses on top of that particular mesa near the stone ruins. He said settlers built up there so they could keep an eye on things below, lots of Indians rustling cattle. The field around Thompson Mesa, were quite heavily farmed at one time. It's a spectacular site when the sunflowers are blooming in April or May, depending on the temperatures.
    Yes, we've been to the Jolene Mine too, not much left to see there, it's become a popular destination for people with ATVs coming to the area, picked clean now.
    Here's a link to a post I did about Boyer Cabin, you'll recognize the stove.

Boyer Cabin - Old AZ Ranch Site - Ghosttowns.com Forums

Laura...........I kinda figured you had been in the Thompson Mesa/Boyer Canyon area. Thanks for the links. It's usually a little quicker to throw the question out there, than to pick thru all the old posts......

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Flatiron, glad to see your post.

Thought this might be interesting to you & Laura.

The town of Roosevelt from across the Salt river in 1907. Submerged during the construction of the dam, the reclamation service construction camp is at upper right.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

That's a neat photo. If I'm not mistaken, I think that reclamation service construction site now houses SRP employees. One of the old buildings, I think it was a mess/entertainment hall still remains. Occasionally when the lake is down, we'll find a piece of board-like drift wood, we can only assume they're bits and pieces of Roosevelt floating to the surface.

Thanks Vulture.......I've never seen that photo before, and Laura's comments on pieces of old driftwood floating to the surface are particularly interesting. I had been told by some old time SRP employees that all the buildings were dismantled before the lake was allowed to fill, but recently in the last few years have seen photos showing at least part of the old town still there as the water was rising. Also, it's nice to see somebody from the historic town of Galeyville so interested in Ghosttowning and exploring. If I remember correctly, "Curly Bill" Brosious was shot in the neck in Galeyville, amongst other episodes that took place in that town.......

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well its not nearly as lively since Curly Bill left. His "gettin' it in the neck" & Ringo's takeover of a friendly poker game was the peak of recreation here.

Both gone now & sorely missed. They weren't bad boys, just victims of society.

This is the only portrait I know of that claims to be of Curly Bill. It is disputed by Ben Traywick & other Tombstone historians.

Bottom is John Ringo, authinticated photo.

I get a kick out of the fight scene between Curly Bill & Wyatt in the movie Tombstone, where they are wading through waist deep water. I don't think there was that much water anywhere south of the Gila. If there had been we would of been a much more prosperious territory!

<
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Many of the buildings in Roosevelt were moved before they flooded the area. Quite a few however were left intact to be slowly covered up by water. In the book, "Roosevelt Dam, A History to 1911" written by Earl A. Zarbin in cooperation with SRP. They've got an old photo showing the waters rising, covering buildings. There's even a story about the old Roosevelt post office. It seems that the postmaster hadn't been given orders from the Post Master General to move the post office, so he waited until the last minute...his feet were getting wet before he decided on his own to move things to higher ground and get out. The post office building itself remained and was flooded.

Thread Information