Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antelope Springs Mill

Default Antelope Springs Mill

I'm wondering if anybody who has spent some time in the Eastern Sierras happens to know any history of what I've been told is called the Antelope Springs Mill east of Mammoth Lakes, Ca. It's off of Chidago Loop Rd. and between Hwy. 395 and Hwy. 6 out of Bishop. I was surprised by the amount of equipment, machinery, and vehicles left behind. I suspect it was probably known by another name at one time, but can't find anybody who knows much about it's history. It's a beautiful area, and I didn't see another person all day. Any help would be appreciated........

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hi Flatiron, Aside from a day trip years ago to that general vicinity, I don't know much about the area but I found this on Wikipedia, maybe it'll help. Looks like Antelope Springs and Wicks Corner may be one and the same? It's a beautiful area.

Hi Laura...........Thanks for taking the time to research Antelope Springs Mill. The Antelope Springs I'm referring to is in Mono County, Ca. which is a few hundred miles S/SE of Butte County, and at quite a bit higher elevation. I'll keep plugging away, and hopefully come up with some info on this place. Thanks again............

Flatiron,
    Take a look at this map. I found Chidago Loop Road and some mines on it. I had to enlarge it to read it. Hope this helps.

http://www.monocounty.ca.gov/departments/public_works/documents/ROADMAP-12-07-07.pdf
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Oops sorry Flatiron. it's too hot here to do anything but clean the house or do research on the computer anyway .... guess which one I'm gonna do.

40FORDJIM.................Thanks for the info and map link. After checking out the map, I still see no name for the millsite. I know it's not the Morris or Lone Star Mine, and what's really peculiar is that there's an Antelope Springs Rd. NE of Chidago Loop Rd. which is miles away. I'll keep searching, and if need be check with the Assessors Office for Mono County ans see if I can dig something up. I appreciate your's and Laura's efforts, and hopefully my wife and I can take the short trip to Silver City and meet up with you guys. My wife is doing much better, now, and we both really like the Silver City area and all of New Mexico....... ..........

Flatiron,
    We would like to see you and your wife. Let us know ahead of time to make sure we are home. We do travel a fair amount. jpershing@zianet.com
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

I lived in the eastern Sierra in June Lake and Big Pine between 1974 and 2008, and have researched in county records and the old newspapers the history of the region and am a published author.

Oddly enough, though I've been across the Chidago Canyon Loop road many times, I've always cut across the road that runs to the north as the road exits Red Rock Canyon, thus cutting off the portion of the road that loops south by Antelope Spring.

Antelope is a fairly common place name. There is an Antelope Spring a few miles east of US395 and northeast of Mammoth Lakes. No mining in that region except for a small pumice mine.

Checking the topo maps that cover the immediate vicinity (Banner Ridge and Casa Diablo Mt., California), there are several named mines, but I don't see an Antelope. Just a couple of structures and a windmill at the spring. There are several named mines north and northeast.

On the road that I've always traveled, there are ruins at a couple of mines, but not as extensive as you suggest here.

Back in the first decade of the 20th century, the Inyo Register newspaper often carried articles of a mining region called Delver, which covered the general area. Such as this headline from the April 23, 1908 Inyo Register:

"Delver: The New Discovery in Southern Mono -- Shipment of Ore From Surface to be Made at Once -- Road Having Been Built From the Prospects."

Delver wasn't a big rush, but likely was worked off an on over the decades, especially during the Depression years.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Default Antelope Springs Mill

Interested in this site because I will be near there next month. There is an Antelope Springs off the Chidalgo loop road, shown on my Garmin Topo. Its just south of the loop rd. Google earth shows enough to be the likely site.

GPS coordinates are: N37.61475 W118.56268

David and itsatdm.........It's possible that I've been given the wrong name for this mill, and that's one reason I'm trying to learn more about it's history. Depending on which datum you use, the coordinates are N37 36.865 & W118 33.604. It would be at the SE corner of Chidago Canyon Loop Rd. on most maps.There's an abandoned house that looks like it has been occupied fairly recently about .25 mile from the mill. I kinda figured David would have info on it, as he had been in the area exploring for quite awhile. Thanks for the help, anyway......

Thread Information