Thread: The area of Mojave, California....Cactus Queen

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default The area of Mojave, California....Cactus Queen

Just south-west of Mojave, a number of mining camps can be found. This one is the Cactus Queen Mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Default Do you still have the Ford?

Great post again! Wondering if you still have the ford? Looks Good. How long ago were you at this site? We were looking to go in that direction in the fall. //;-)
    To admire and reflect history, not destroy it. ll;-)

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by miztik11e1 View Post
    Great post again! Wondering if you still have the ford? Looks Good. How long ago were you at this site? We were looking to go in that direction in the fall. //;-)
    I don't have this Bronco any more. I wish I did. It was the best one I've had. I still have a Bronco but it's a 78 that I've had since it was new. I still use it for the desert trips and it runs good. I had it repainted about 15 years ago and keep it garaged so it still looks good.

I've seen a couple of later posts saying that the property out around the Cactus Queen is all private now.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Thumbs up Nice! I still have my Ford F-150 (400 4x4)

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    I don't have this Bronco any more. I wish I did. It was the best one I've had. I still have a Bronco but it's a 78 that I've had since it was new. I still use it for the desert trips and it runs good. I had it repainted about 15 years ago and keep it garaged so it still looks good.

I've seen a couple of later posts saying that the property out around the Cactus Queen is all private now.
    It is a 79 that likes to crawl, but is out of order currently and have had offfers to sell (blue) but there is always another trip to the back country to see. It still wants to go! //;-) Thanks again!
    To admire and reflect history, not destroy it. ll;-)

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Fantastic looking place!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default Cactus Queen

I like the photo with the ore hopper and the red, white and blue ore piled off to the right. There are some dumps at Red Mountain with the same look to them.

The Shumake volcanic dome underlies that area which probably explains the red (high iron basaltic type of ore), blue (low iron ryolitic ores, and the yellow (I got no idea.) But those are just guesses.

The hill on which the mine sits is Middle Butte, one of five similar hill complexes south west of Mojave. All had major mines including the Tropico. The Cactus Queen was discovered in 1934-35 and produced 230,000 tons of ore yielding $5 million. The ore was accessed by a 1,000' shaft (note the headframe in one of the photos) and included 12,000' of workings.

But all this stuff is on the internet. Which can be a great tool. This area is on a block near the point of the triangle formed by the Garlock Fault and the San Andreas Fault, two of our largest in Southern California. The Garlock Fault extends from nearby to the south end of Death Valley, just south of the Owls Head Mountains.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    I like the photo with the ore hopper and the red, white and blue ore piled off to the right. There are some dumps at Red Mountain with the same look to them.

The Shumake volcanic dome underlies that area which probably explains the red (high iron basaltic type of ore), blue (low iron ryolitic ores, and the yellow (I got no idea.) But those are just guesses.

The hill on which the mine sits is Middle Butte, one of five similar hill complexes south west of Mojave. All had major mines including the Tropico. The Cactus Queen was discovered in 1934-35 and produced 230,000 tons of ore yielding $5 million. The ore was accessed by a 1,000' shaft (note the headframe in one of the photos) and included 12,000' of workings.

But all this stuff is on the internet. Which can be a great tool. This area is on a block near the point of the triangle formed by the Garlock Fault and the San Andreas Fault, two of our largest in Southern California. The Garlock Fault extends from nearby to the south end of Death Valley, just south of the Owls Head Mountains.

NJ
    I have a bunch of photos of the Tropico to scan and post in the near future. When I finish the Cactus Queen, I have some of Garlock and then I'll start on the other stuff.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Default Tropico

I would love to visit the Tropico without having to actually go there, especially this time of year. NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Default Mojave

Some other really cool ghost towns in the Mojave are along Old US 66/Santa Fe RR. Places like Goffs, Amboy, Cadiz and such. However, rumour has it that Roy's in Amboy may be opening up again. The last time I was out that way dumping rock on the RR, Essex still had a post office and a CalTrans facility. But with the current state of affairs in CA and DC, those may end up empty.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger45 View Post
    Some other really cool ghost towns in the Mojave are along Old US 66/Santa Fe RR. Places like Goffs, Amboy, Cadiz and such. However, rumour has it that Roy's in Amboy may be opening up again. The last time I was out that way dumping rock on the RR, Essex still had a post office and a CalTrans facility. But with the current state of affairs in CA and DC, those may end up empty.
    Roy's is open and sells gas and cold drinks. They're gonna open up the cafe again when they get the water problem resolved. No much left in Cadiz, just an old cafe and a couple of buildings. I get out there quite a bit. Usually hang out at Ludlow for a few days while I do my railroad photography. Too hot right now but will be back out there towards the last of October.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Thread Information