Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bodie In Eminent Danger Of Closure

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

I heard there was consideration being given to extending the border fence along the Eastern and Northern borders of California and giving it to Mexico.

The problem seems to be that Mexico doesn't want the Governor, Nancy Pelosi, Okies, or gang members.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,5009643.story

Editorial
    Closing California's state parks: too costly?
    The state will still have to care for the wilderness areas, and one fire caused by illegal activity could more than wipe out any savings.
    June 3, 2009

Whether Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is making a serious proposal or indulging in a bit of grandstanding, the temporary closure of at least some state parks isn't unthinkable in a budget year this dire. What the number crunchers must realize, though, is that "closed" isn't the same as "no cost." The state must patrol and minimally maintain the parks with or without visitors or it almost surely will incur worse expense, not just long term but in the immediate future.

Closing parks doesn't mean that people won't use them. It means that law-abiding people won't use them. Among those who will: meth lab operators, marijuana farmers, the homeless, taggers, poachers, rogue mountain bikers and off-roaders, as well as just plain campers who think the rules don't apply to their personal visits. Wildfire danger would increase from illegal, unsupervised campfires, sparks from off-road vehicles and drug operations. The cost of a single catastrophic fire could wipe out most of the savings from closing parks. Crime could turn the parks into expensive public nuisances.

That's on top of the long-term expense caused by erosion problems from illegally cut trails, vandalism, deterioration of park buildings and the need to bring back overgrown trails once the parks reopen.

There are budgetary downsides to shutting out legitimate visitors. Not only would the state lose the visitor fees, but hikers and bikers act as a sort of volunteer patrol. The probability of encountering passers-by is enough to deter many illegal activities. Park closures would save, at most, $140 million a year. Closing them properly might be more trouble and expense than it's worth. Before putting out scare lists, the administration should do some real-life figuring with a calculator.

Though details haven't been worked out, so far the proposal calls for putting up to 220 parks on "caretaker" status, which means turning off the water and power, boarding up the windows and sending regional patrols in every now and then to look for damage that needs immediate attention. This isn't a workable scenario. Imagine trying to "close" the 600,000-acre Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in San Diego County.

Like any homeowner who moves but has a legal responsibility to keep the vacant property in decent order, the state cannot simply lock the gates of state parks and walk away. Nor is this a long-term solution to the state's budget crisis. Californians expect to see these treasured resources reopened within a couple of years, and they must be maintained with that in mind, not as potential lots for the auction block. The state is hurting badly, but it is not for sale.
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

Hopefully reason will prevail and the number of parks affected will be a lot lower than the initial number discussed. It seems pretty clear that many of these parks are revenue positive and if they do nothing else, they can keep them active and defer maintenance for a while?

Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

Shut the gate and very few people would have to access the site which is good--less vandalism.???

On the contrary. It would get rid of the park rangers because the state can't afford to pay them and all vandals would have to do would be jump over the gate (NOT hard to do) and have free reign to destroy the town. No park rangers to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    Sadly, the California State Park system is one of the few items not protected by ballot measure that mandates certain levels of state funding. Bodie would be an easy park to close. Shut the gate and very few people would have to access the site which is good--less vandalism. State parks like Anza Borrego which are accessable by thousands from non-clossable roads would suffer the most.

Which is precisely why the system is unfixable on a funding by fee collection basis. Many of our state parks do not have a one-road-gets-you-there entry and are therefore not able to effectively charge people for use.

But why should any state park charge for use? Fund our public lands and protect them.

I have a home in the San Jacinto Mountains. I spent last night tossing and turning because of the destruction to the forest I have wittnessed over the past several months. Thousands of acres are being systematically denuded of all vegetaion but large trees in the name of "fuels reduction." All bird, mammal, reptile, amphibian, insect, arachnid, and small plant habitat destroyed. Tractors chew up every square acre and grind it and cover the forest floor with shredded life. And this is spring when the quail are nesting, the towhee, and chick-a-dee, the fox and squirrel. The state has money to destroy nature, but none to preserve our public lands.

NJ
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

If you've been in Southern California lately, you'd see that the Mexicans have already taken back that part of the state. Even Okies are leaving the area........

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

Yep Flatiron, lots of Okies coming back, but only after many years of exposure to Prune-pickers. This tends to lower the collective IQ of both States; though, of course, they are a good influence on the folks in NM and AZ as they pass through. The problem is those who come by way of Las Vegas, NV and roost up there 'cause they think they're in Kansas City, where ever'thin's up-ta-date. OJ
    Last edited by old judge; 06-05-2009 at 05:02 AM.

OJ....I was wonderin' what that weirder than normal smell was in the air in Az., but figured out what it was when I saw a 85' Buick headin' thru town with "Oklahoma or Bust" written on the side in pigeon crap. I hope those sodbusters have a good life in LV , or KC...........

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Interesting...I thought that was the delicate fragrance of bad moonshine & unbathed human grease, guess I was right! I'lll be movin' upwind when the oakies pass.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 06-06-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'd rather have a bunch of stinkin' Okies than a bunch of stinkin' illegals any day
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thread Information