Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bodie In Eminent Danger Of Closure

Default Bodie In Eminent Danger Of Closure

As a member of the newly formed Bodie Advisory Committee, in our conference call meeting today, all business was set aside to discuss our Governor's plan to close on at least 80% of our State Parks, which was announced last night. These closures not only affect the State Parks that we love to go to to, it affects the communties surrounding them and the tourism that supports these communties. We are in a desperate effort to get the word out before June 2nd when this comes before Sacramento. For more information and petition to sign:

http://www.calparks.org/takeaction/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtMyGKzQzhc
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

What a shame. I read this afternoon 200 Cali parks are in imminent danger of termination.

It's just a ****** mess how it works - the government recklessly overspends and its "we the people" who get screwed. Yet again.

Special edition of my website addresses this:

Arnold Says "Hasta la vista!" to State Parks
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.cerrogordo.us

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well that just bites!!! Guess I'll just have to write Gov. Arnie and ask for a post card of Bodie since I can't go there.

"Remember the Alamo!" h*ll, "Remember the ghost towns!" is more like it!!!

A lot of the parks and sites are not the ones you typically think of. Many of them do not have a lot of visitors and apparently are considered money losers.

For instance five parks are being considered for closure in the Sacramento area, including Sutters Fort. However, the state Railroad Museum is not on the list because it gets a lot of visitors.

Several groups are fighting the closures and have pointed out that the parks take in more money than they cost. However, I am sure some of them are operating at a net loss.

None of the parks and sites will be abandoned, merely put on a closed status, or at least that is the proposal as of right now.

Sadly, California has to bite the bullet on the budget issue, as they simply don't have enough money for all the bells and whistles right now.

80 % of the California State Parks stand to close. The State Parks pay for themselves. Bodie alone, had 1,500 visitors on memorial day weekend, and generates 250,000 visitors from all over the globe annually. That's a lot of revenue that will be lost. One ranger can't manage a whole state park......if indeed they are even left with that. Neighboring communities that depend on the tourism from these state parks will be affected..this will sink California deeper into depression. This was not well thought out at all...
    Last edited by Cecile; 05-29-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.cerrogordo.us

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Sorry, this was already posted.
    Last edited by dwinslow; 05-30-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It would make sense to temporary close any park that isn't breaking even or making money till the funds came back. But to close down something that turns a profit is asinine.

I would fear they'll cut the parks completely and likely have no one to watch over, which will be a death sentence to many as the vandals will have a field day.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Default Cal Parks

Sadly, the California State Park system is one of the few items not protected by ballot measure that mandates certain levels of state funding. Bodie would be an easy park to close. Shut the gate and very few people would have to access the site which is good--less vandalism. State parks like Anza Borrego which are accessable by thousands from non-clossable roads would suffer the most.

Which is precisely why the system is unfixable on a funding by fee collection basis. Many of our state parks do not have a one-road-gets-you-there entry and are therefore not able to effectively charge people for use.

But why should any state park charge for use? Fund our public lands and protect them.

I have a home in the San Jacinto Mountains. I spent last night tossing and turning because of the destruction to the forest I have wittnessed over the past several months. Thousands of acres are being systematically denuded of all vegetaion but large trees in the name of "fuels reduction." All bird, mammal, reptile, amphibian, insect, arachnid, and small plant habitat destroyed. Tractors chew up every square acre and grind it and cover the forest floor with shredded life. And this is spring when the quail are nesting, the towhee, and chick-a-dee, the fox and squirrel. The state has money to destroy nature, but none to preserve our public lands.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    I have a home in the San Jacinto Mountains. I spent last night tossing and turning because of the destruction to the forest I have wittnessed over the past several months. Thousands of acres are being systematically denuded of all vegetaion but large trees in the name of "fuels reduction." All bird, mammal, reptile, amphibian, insect, arachnid, and small plant habitat destroyed. Tractors chew up every square acre and grind it and cover the forest floor with shredded life. And this is spring when the quail are nesting, the towhee, and chick-a-dee, the fox and squirrel. The state has money to destroy nature, but none to preserve our public lands.

NJ
    Which cracks me up, since the trend during the 90's was to stop any form of fuel reduction in the name of being earth friendly. Now places that once were up kept by nature or human have become so overgrown and likely dead that the smallest spark wipes out half a state.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thread Information