Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any ghost towns by the Salton Sea or Niland, California?

You're welcome, Steve. We drove by the North Shore Yacht Club and they indeed have gotten started; the building is fenced off, all the graffiti is gone, and the old siding has been removed from the second floor (first floor is mostly block)...they're moving right along!
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Just finished reading Southern California's best ghost towns - a practical guide. Good stuff about the Salton Sea area. I found Mullet Island the most interesting.

That area is very interesting how it went through it phases and ultimately the sea turning into what it is today due to the cattle run off (if i understood correctly).

Great burger joint we always went to off the 86 "Super Burger" !

Read how the sea is evaporating. if the surrounding cities dont help resolve this issue it could be a big problem as it will just be a huge dust bowl and cause extreme dust storms/clouds that could ruin Palm Springs.

Possible ghost town of the future ?

There are so many great places in California where to start ehh?

My father in law and some investors starting redoing the Salton Sea Marina but Jimmie Carter's fuel lines shut that plan down.

Bombay Beach and Niland basically are ghost towns, or rather ghost towns in the making on CA111. They are worth seeing if you are willing to get through all the construction on 111. North of there on I10 you have Desert Center and Eagle Mountain. I'm not sure if you can actually access Eagle Mountain anymore, I guess the Marines are doing training ops out there now.

Currently Eagle Mountain is fenced off, with security. However, during the Eagle Mountain High School reunions, they do offer tours of the townsite. Not sure if you have to be an alumni or not.

Last fall when we were in Desert Center, the cafe had closed. So the only thing open in "downtown" Desert Center is the post office. There is a mini-mart a couple of miles north of town.

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Default Carnival of Souls

That building that was in the movie. The place that was the beach club that became the dance hall should still be standing.

Quote Originally Posted by josta View Post
    Currently Eagle Mountain is fenced off, with security. However, during the Eagle Mountain High School reunions, they do offer tours of the townsite. Not sure if you have to be an alumni or not.

Last fall when we were in Desert Center, the cafe had closed. So the only thing open in "downtown" Desert Center is the post office. There is a mini-mart a couple of miles north of town.

John
    I can't imagine that security out there is the best, the fence line I have heard is right upon the boundaries of the town. I ran into a similar situation with Steins in New Mexico where you basically see the entire town even from the fence. Now I never was sure about the conditions of Eagle Mountain Road and Kaiser Road to go up there and invest some time on work trips. It would be interesting to see if anyone is REALLY watching the town site these days.

As for Desert Center, I've been through the town on CA177 so many times and never seen a single soul. I think that 204 persons figure on the 2010 census is probably a little generous. There are some neat portions of US 60/70 that run through the town though, with similar decay to US 66 on the Amboy Bypass.
    Last edited by El Burro Camaro; 05-16-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Thread Information