Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what happened to Aztec AZ

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

The info from the section on Aztec isn't much.

Aztec

When I last saw it driving past on my way to Yuma everything was collapsed.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Thumbs up way back

Quote Originally Posted by candlou View Post
    I spent a week in Aztec AZ in 1940 when I was about 9 years old , The Motel was run by a family named Anderson or Johnson. I even attended classes in a one room schoolhouse. Last year I went back to show my wife and there was nothing except the foundation of a fairly modern gas station,, What happend to Aztec , did the new highway kill it, Where did the family go?
    way back when was going to that school, when I was 5 yrs old, we lived on a ranch about 3-4 miles so. of the school, sid williams was the owner i believe, been away such a long time, had a dream of the old place a few nights ago which i went searching for knowledge of the old place. I remember a lady drove us to the sch, most times we walked which seamed like 5 miles, ofcource what we remember and what is , is two differnt things. happy to see another from the ole aztec sch and that area. please reply with some of ur old stories.

Default aztec az.

I spent a week in Aztec AZ in 1940 when I was about 9 years old , The Motel was run by a family named Anderson or Johnson. I even attended classes in a one room schoolhouse. Last year I went back to show my wife and there was nothing except the foundation of a fairly modern gas station,, What happend to Aztec , did the new highway kill it, Where did the family go?
    I went to school at Aztec & graduated in 1948. Knew the owners very well. My mother drove the school bus. Know where some of the people are today. Will be of help if I can.

I remember a lot about Aztec. My mother was the school bus driver for many years. We had a ranch called Rancho Del Rio about 15 miles from Aztec close to the Gila river. Have several photos of school kids & Aztec.

Aztec Az. was a railroad stop for water. Have photo of the old hotel & Aztec school. Saturday nites the place came alive with drinking & dancing. I remember it well. There was an air field at Dateland & an army camp at Horn & Hyder.

Default what happened to aztec az?

I attended aztec school from 1940-1948 and knew the owners. My mom drove the school bus. Does anyone have a picture of the old school house? It burned years ago. Would love to hear from anyone that remembers this place. Myrtie

Default what happened to aztec az?

Quote Originally Posted by endonmagic View Post
    way back when was going to that school, when I was 5 yrs old, we lived on a ranch about 3-4 miles so. of the school, sid williams was the owner i believe, been away such a long time, had a dream of the old place a few nights ago which i went searching for knowledge of the old place. I remember a lady drove us to the sch, most times we walked which seamed like 5 miles, ofcource what we remember and what is , is two differnt things. happy to see another from the ole aztec sch and that area. please reply with some of ur old stories.
    I remember Aztec very well. Knew the r.r. people & owners of aztec. We lived on a ranch way back then. Would like to hear from anyone that remembers the place. Thanks Myrtie Todd

I have been trying to contact anyone about aztec az. Do have a lot of history about the place.

Default what happened to Aztec

I think the area ceased to exist about the time the highway was improved. Afew years ago I stopped there to show my wife where I had gone to school there, and all the buildings apparently were moved to the north of the highway or destroyed. There wasn't much left. I moved there in 1951 or '52. My father farmed cotton south of the hwy and about two or three miles west of Aztec. The first year I believe there were 13 students in the school, and the second year it was down to 9 or 11. The teachers name was Mrs. Shipley. At that time there was a gas staation, store, and a US Post office in the same building, ran by a husband and wife, with a small boy and girl. On the west side of that was a small garage made of railroad cross ties, ran by a man and his wife. She carved and sold kachina dolls and walked around with a tarantula on a string. I've never liked spiders, so I remember it well. I have some vivid memories I would be happy to share, unfortunately names are not part of those memories.

I know this is an older thread, but was actually looking for info on Aztec. I am writing a book and thought it would be cool to include information on Aztec to flesh out the story. I remember as a kid traveling up the 8 East freeway from San Diego to Phoenix to visit my uncle we'd pass by Aztec, then one day as we drove by, it was gone, just a sign and a bunch of scrap. I am one of those who loves looking back on the past and nostalgia, so I seeing the ghost town it is now makes me sad.

Thread Information