Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what happened to Aztec AZ

This settlement, named for the Aztec Hills, was established as a railroad station and watering stop for engines in 1881. On the Southern Pacific Railroad between Phoenix and Yuma. Exit 73 off I-8 located eighty miles east of Yuma. Post Office established by Charles Dallen September 12,1889. There are two buildings still standing with some foundations and scrap. One building is completely made of railroad ties.
    You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by And so become yourself!

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Will travel to Yuma next week for Thanksgiving. Will make a stop at Aztec and take photos of it in it's current condition.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Default I lived in Aztec in 1982

I was born in Yuma in 1982 and my parent's owned the mobile station and bar/diner that was in Aztec. We ended up moving in '84 to Omaha. I have lots of old pictures of me being that bar baby inside of their bar. It's sad what happened to Aztec. I hate seeing this thread two years after it has been written.

Ok, here are those photos that I took at Aztec this morning on my return from Yuma.

"Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Default Aztec

Thank you the pictures are great. Does anyone know the name of the family that owned or ran the little motel in 1940.. I think it was either Anderson or Johnson. They had at least two daughters . I was 9 in 1940, when we spent a week in Aztec on our trip back to Buffalo,NY from LA. The family gave us a puppy that we named Zona..He traveled most of the way on my mothers lap while she was driving , to avoid my sister and me.

Quote Originally Posted by candlou View Post
    Thank you the pictures are great. Does anyone know the name of the family that owned or ran the little motel in 1940.. I think it was either Anderson or Johnson. They had at least two daughters . I was 9 in 1940, when we spent a week in Aztec on our trip back to Buffalo,NY from LA. The family gave us a puppy that we named Zona..He traveled most of the way on my mothers lap while she was driving , to avoid my sister and me.
    Unfortunately, those are all gone. Just west of where I took these photos is a thin pile of rubble which must be where the motel was. Glad to have been able to get these photos from along the highway and on ramp as there is a no trespassing sign on what was the frontage road; though I don't know if they mean the town site or just the area where there is a pile of loose asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by myrtroberts View Post
    I remember a lot about Aztec. My mother was the school bus driver for many years. We had a ranch called Rancho Del Rio about 15 miles from Aztec close to the Gila river. Have several photos of school kids & Aztec.
    I would love to see some old photos of Aztec, would you mind emailing me some
    thanks
    Robert

Like you said the interstate rolled right past it. The school was there in 1963, or that the last time I saw it. There was also a Dude ranch just west of the old town site run by an old german couple. We called her aunt Ruth. They had a daughter that lived in the big Brown two story house ,hotel. She had a son who was less than 5 in 1963. His name was Bucth. The old man was an old railroad guy.
    Thats all I can tell you about.

Question More on AZTEC AZ

I recently tried to find my name in the 1940 census. I found my sister my mother and me in Aztec AZ, We were staying at the small hotel run by the Johnson family.Johnson and his wife, Pearl, had two daughters and a son. Does any one know what became of them??

It looks like Aztec was swallowed up by progress, or rather it outlived its usefulness after US 80 was decommissioned. All that is really left is a bunch of building foundations and a here and there intact ruin. If you look closely the Frontage Road on the south side of I8 is old US 80 and you can still take it about 20 miles past Dateland through the Goldwater Bombing Range. The same thing largely has happened to Sentinel but at least it still has activity over there.

Thread Information