Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tropico Mine - Part 4

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Tropico Mine - Part 4

Here's the last of the Tropico mine photos. Sorry, I had to desaturate the color in the center photos due to the poor condition of the slide.I'll throw in some Nevada stuff with the next postings for a change of pace.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by dwinslow; 06-11-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I like the desaturation...looks like a clip from right out of a movie

Don - What software are you using to work on your slides? I am scanning some old family slides, some of them from the 1950's and there is serious degradation present.

Dave

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Don, good looking stuff. I think the B&W is a good effect. That is a very interesting place, glad you got to capture it in such a fine state of preservation.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Don - What software are you using to work on your slides? I am scanning some old family slides, some of them from the 1950's and there is serious degradation present.

Dave
    Hi Dave. I use a bunch of programs. I start off with Capture NX for the initial processing. Then it goes into PhotoShop CS4 for the major work and I use a combination of NIk software D-Fine noise canceling and if needed I run it through Topaz D-Noise. These slides have really suffered. I'm working on some stuff from Silver City, Nevada which I shot 50 years ago. It's in bad shape but there are some great old pictures with old cars in them. They are some of my favorites so I'm trying to save them but most of the color has faded. Those with all the color gone I have to convert to black and white but they are worth the rescue effort (I think). I'll post some of them in a couple of days. It's a time consuming task but right now I have a little extra time as I'm on temporary disability until at least August. Then I guess it's back on the Harley and off to work (yuk). That's gonna cut into my computer time and working on these pictures. The bosses at work just don't seem to realize that this ghost town stuff is more important.
    Last edited by dwinslow; 06-12-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Thumbs up

Even without the color, that is a great picture! I marvel at the construction of some of those old mining structures, Many of them in the drier climates, have truly stood up to the tests of time and Mother Nature.

Thanks for taking the time to scan and post them, Don!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang John View Post
    Even without the color, that is a great picture! I marvel at the construction of some of those old mining structures, Many of them in the drier climates, have truly stood up to the tests of time and Mother Nature.

Thanks for taking the time to scan and post them, Don!
    Thanks John. I think the old car buffs on here are gonna like this next bunch. I was lucky enough to get some shots of the town with 40's and 50's cars in them. That's when Lucious Beebe was riding the rails on the Virginia & Truckee Railroad between Virginia City and Carson City as it came down through Gold Hill and Silver City. A neat time it was and the Territorial Enterprise was the local newspaper which had it's office in Virginia City. I used to subscribe to the Enterprise and it was one neat rag. It always had stories about the goings on with the local ho houses which at that time were right in town. Old Joe Conforte ran the Mustang Ranch down near Sparks and had a local house up on the hill behind the St. Mary's church in Virginia. All the ho houses had to be in Storey County at that time. That's when there were still about 18-20 saloons on C Street and it was still a bit of the old west. It's all geared for the tourist now but there's still a ton of history there. I was up there just last year and it's still fun to walk around knowing a lot of the history of the area. The wife and I almost bought an old victorian house up on B Street in the 60's. Knowing what I do now, I wish we had done it.
    Oh well, back to the scanner and I'll stick some of this stuff up here in a day or so.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    Thanks John. I think the old car buffs on here are gonna like this next bunch. I was lucky enough to get some shots of the town with 40's and 50's cars in them. That's when Lucious Beebe was riding the rails on the Virginia & Truckee Railroad between Virginia City and Carson City as it came down through Gold Hill and Silver City. A neat time it was and the Territorial Enterprise was the local newspaper which had it's office in Virginia City. I used to subscribe to the Enterprise and it was one neat rag. It always had stories about the goings on with the local ho houses which at that time were right in town. Old Joe Conforte ran the Mustang Ranch down near Sparks and had a local house up on the hill behind the St. Mary's church in Virginia. All the ho houses had to be in Storey County at that time. That's when there were still about 18-20 saloons on C Street and it was still a bit of the old west. It's all geared for the tourist now but there's still a ton of history there. I was up there just last year and it's still fun to walk around knowing a lot of the history of the area. The wife and I almost bought an old victorian house up on B Street in the 60's. Knowing what I do now, I wish we had done it.
    Oh well, back to the scanner and I'll stick some of this stuff up here in a day or so.
    Yes, Virginia City, NV is a great place to roam around on a weekday before the real tourists arrive for the day. Also, it is fun to "rub elbows" with the locals in one of the "watering holes" after the tourists have gone home.

Did you know they have been rebuilding the V&T Railway from Virginia City to Carson City? They are down to near Mound House about now. They installed the railroad bridge over US Highway 50 in March. Here is their website, if you want to look: http://www.steamtrain.org/default.asp

Default No Rush, But DO Hurry Up!

Dwinslow, I dont want to rush you, but I am one of those car nuts and cant wait to see what you have captured. The ghosttown shots with cars and old relics in them are just oh so much more special! Can you believe i found a minning oar car, sans wheels, sitting in the garden of a tacky, tacky motel in downtown Wickenburg!( actualy come to think of it, there is all kinds of crazy stuff in peoples gardens in this town ) Yep ghosttowns and treasure and lucky people like you got to see it all before vandelism, trophy hunting and mass tourism! Even better you photographed it!

Keep them photos coming.
    rev dr g

p.s Mr Dwinslow, do you have any photos of old abandoned gas stations?
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

Quote Originally Posted by rev dr g View Post

p.s Mr Dwinslow, do you have any photos of old abandoned gas stations?
    I don't have any of an actual gas stations but a couple of the Oregon posts have had combination general stores and gas pumps in them. Check back on some of the Oregon stuff I posted or check my ghost town page as the photos are gonna show up on there if they already haven't.

Also in the next bunch I'm gonna post, there's a shot of the old Silver City Fire Station with an old 40's era car and an old gas pump for the fire truck. I'll stick it on here in tomorrow's post.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Thread Information