Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ore cars -- a few I have found

Default Ore cars -- a few I have found

Ore cars (carts) are one of the things that I love to find in a mine. I am posting a few photo's and asking anyone with photo's and a story to tell to add to my start.

This first cart was by far the oldest. You can see that just by its construction. I took this photo back in 2004 at the Modoc (Modock) Mine at the foot of Lookout Mountain on the west side of Panamint Valley. The Modoc claim was bought by George hearst in 1875 and is a lead, silver and zinc mine. The rock with the names is right outside the main adit.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 06-15-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: a few corrections
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Default The Defense Mine

The Defense Mine is up the canyon to the north of Lookout Mountain, Stone Canyon. It was a mine from the 1930's until about 1949. At one time it employed eight men. The ore content was 18% lead, 9 - 12 onces of silver per ton, and 18 to 27% manganese. It is perhaps my favorite mine. There are a series of ladders one climbs to successively higher levels until a final adit (horizontal tunnel) leads back to the fresh air, 150 feet higher up the mountain.
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 06-15-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: corrections
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Default The Gold Spur

The Gold Spur, also known as the Lestro Mountain Mine, is reached by driving up Coyote Canyon in the Panamint Mountains. Coyote Canyon is one canyon north of Goler Wash. A little walking may be in order as the road has washed out in the last few years. The mine itself is up the south wall of the canyon and can be found by following a trail behind the shack. Gold bearing quartz was mined and delivered to a cable tram head by way of a 100' elevated railway.
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 06-15-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: corrections

Default The Lotus Mine

The ore carts featured here are from the Lotus or Keystone mine which Carl Mengel sold in 1935. Quartz seams and fissures had free gold which assayed at between $2.50 to $50 per ton.

The carts themselves are up South Park Canyon at the Briggs Cabin, but the mine is in Goler Wash in the Panamint Mountains.
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 06-16-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: corrections

Default Burro Schmidt's

Burro Schmidt started digging his tunnel in about 1908. He completed the tunnel in 1938 ---2000' through the top of the El Paso Mountains in the northern Mojave Desert. The tunnel was featured in Ripley's "Believe It Or Not."

I took this photo when I visited the site in the late 90's. Tonie Seger was still there and telling stories of her time caretaking the site.
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 06-16-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Default This last post is of Cashier's Mill

Cashiers Mill is in the Northern Panamint Mountains at Harrisburg Flats. Shorty Harris and Pete Aguereberry found gold here in 1905. It was also called the Independent Mine and operated until 1914. There was no water at the site and they used water from the Skidoo pipeline.

Default Anybody else have photo's

Anybody else have ore cart pictures or history to add. Please join in.

NJ
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 06-15-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: corrections

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

NJ, You're not shy about getting dirty, lucky for us. The stories and stats flesh out the bones a little too.

Not much of this left in Arizona anymore. When I was at Hamburg a few years back there was some track & axles with wheels, but no cars. Not sure I understand everything I know about that...How does somebody make off with an ore car?

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    NJ, You're not shy about getting dirty, lucky for us. The stories and stats flesh out the bones a little too.

Not much of this left in Arizona anymore. When I was at Hamburg a few years back there was some track & axles with wheels, but no cars. Not sure I understand everything I know about that...How does somebody make off with an ore car?

<
    Yeah, well just wait and see what I got coming from Sutro, Nevada. It's gonna make poor old Norman snivel and cry. I'll have 'em done in a few days.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Man! Great finds!

I've found track, but never a car. The looters were here decades ago with their trucks yapping about collections!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Thread Information