Thread: Dayton, Nevada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Dayton, Nevada

Here's a few from Dayton Nevada and a neat old cemetery.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Don,
    You'r usual high standard of excellence. If I weren't color case hardened I might get a little misty thinking of how much of this is lost forever.

Rather than lapse into melancholy I got an A1 beer, which wasn't bad so I had another for desert.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 06-16-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Don,
    You'r usual high standard of excellence. If I weren't color case hardened I might get a little misty thinking of how much of this is lost forever.

Rather than lapse into melancholy I got an A1 beer, which wasn't bad so I had another for desert. <
    Yeah, but I think ya should be sure ya like 'em so, maybe try another couple in case ya made a mistake.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The building in the first pic has been refurbished and houses the local sheriff station.

I was there yesterday. Dayton that is, not the sheriff's station. Actually, I was there too, they have 2 historical markers on the building that I was cataloging

IIRC the second building is a bar now.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    The building in the first pic has been refurbished and houses the local sheriff station.

I was there yesterday. Dayton that is, not the sheriff's station. Actually, I was there too, they have 2 historical markers on the building that I was cataloging

IIRC the second building is a bar now.
    Thanks Gary. Glad to see they're still standing.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    Yeah, but I think ya should be sure ya like 'em so, maybe try another couple in case ya made a mistake.
    Don,
    Followed your advice. Yep, still like em'. Then I took a nap.

GaryB,
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know those neat old buildings are saved & put to a good use. Combo bar & Sheriffs office, very convenient.

Rawhide,
    That sucks, a housing subdivision?!?! Crap, next there will be the strip mall make over nail shop hair style complex. If I see that I will know I've lived tool ong.
    <
    Last edited by Vulture; 06-17-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    That sucks, a housing subdivision?!?! Crap, next there will be the strip mall make over nail shop hair style complex. If I see that I will know I've lived tool ong.
    Old downtown Dayton is still pretty much left alone. However, the area is growing rapidly, along with all the accutraments of city life - heavy traffic, signal lights, strip malls, subdivisions. It's basically a suburb of Carson City now.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

What David says is how I see as well. Except they were trying to get going in Dayton, Stagecoach, etc. when the bottom dropped out. So that's the reason for so many empty new homes.

Come here and I can show completely empty 'burbs.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

A few weeks back I was following the westbound trace of the Pony Express route into DaytonNv.

Looks like someone has been busy building a New ghost town of Dayton. I drove thru a new sub-division of houses, I didnít make a documented count but out of 40 new houses, 2 appeared to be occupied. Looking back, I wish I had taken a picture.

I hadnít planned to go to Dayton, but a bad weather front and a gate at the Nevada auto test center put me in Dayton. It had been a long day and I didnít get to poke around Dayton at all. I aired-up and hit the pavement to Carson City.

Thread Information