Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dayton, Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    You can't see it in the picture I took, but they repainted the Tahoe beer ad even.
    I know that being the sheriff's office that the Tahoe Beer ad on the side of the building isn't kosher; but I dare say it that a part of history is lost.

Tahoe Beer was part of the region's rich history, as the Carson Brewery (still standing and is the Arts Center now) brewed Tahoe Beer between 1864 and 1948. Tahoe Beer was sold far and near and there were many such ads painted on buildings in all western Nevada towns in those heady days of steam beer.

Too bad that they couldn't have kept the ad, repainted it and have E. Clampus Vitus or the state put up a historic plaque to legitimize it on the side of a building of law enforcement.

There used to be a prominent Tahoe Beer sign on one of Carson's buildings, but it's been about a year since I've driven through town, so don't know if it's still there or not. Don't even recall which building it was on, probably the old brewery ne Arts Center.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Maybe I misread the post about the new/old Sheriff station, because I thought the Tahoe Beer sign was repainted and the historic integrity of the building maintained?

Looks like they did a good job of converting it to modern usage, as the exterior looks like it belongs in the 1920's, or thereabouts.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

They kept the ad as it was. The only thing is it's all shiny and legible now.

I think it's cool that they left it there, even though it is a sheriff's station. I just wonder how much of the idea to keep it was a forced issue (restoring a historical building to it's original state) or if they did it out of good will.

I've seen numerous Tahoe ads in and around the area, many have been refreshed; which I think is a nice gesture.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

I'm happy to hear that they kept the sign! I misread your post, thinking that they painted OVER the sign, not REPAINTED the sign.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Default Tahoe beer

Ummmm, beer. Tahoe, ummmh, beer. Actually, bringing up Tahoe, I want to pass on something my dad told me a week-or-so ago. My dad is 95. He said that during the Ike administration, there was a brief period when Ike allowed the countries National Park land to be sold off. That's right---Tahoe was all National Forest and that was when it changed hands to private development.

Take this with a grain of salt. Dad remembers stuff from twenty-years ago back very well, but yesterday---nothing.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thread Information