Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Horn, AZ

Default Big Horn, AZ

Does any one know any thing about this place? Its right on I8, between Gila Bend, and Casa Grande. Looks to be an old gas station. This is the only building left. Looks like there were more at one time. It still is being used for cattle. A well was pumping water when i was there. The place looks to have been partially restored. the only info i can find is the name Big Horn. thanks
    tim
    Attached Images Attached Images      

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Never heard of it, but that doesn't mean much. Looks like a gas station for sure, plus maybe a diner/someone lived there. Neat find, I love old dead gas stations for some reason.

Little remains of this former small community which took the name from the nearby Big Horn Mountains. The community was on the old Buzzard Ranch. The post office came in 1930, out 1935.
    You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by And so become yourself!

Default Big Horn AZ

You are correct in assuming this is a former gas station. Also living quarters for the attendants.

This site is now part of the Sonran Desert National Monument and the building is in the process of being restored by them. I lived there in 1947.

Default Could have been a different name --- Buck Horn !?! Not sure, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by just some guy View Post
    Does any one know any thing about this place? Its right on I8, between Gila Bend, and Casa Grande. Looks to be an old gas station. This is the only building left. Looks like there were more at one time. It still is being used for cattle. A well was pumping water when i was there. The place looks to have been partially restored. the only info i can find is the name Big Horn. thanks
    tim
    First of all, glad I found this site. And glad you started this thread.
    I am a native of that area, been here a very long time. Now, I may be totally wrong about this. This site still can be found as a location on a very few maps. I am going to see if I can find one. Now, a few of us remember that old gas station site as " BUCK HORN ". We may remember wrong, so do not set it in stone. (Not to be confused with the "BATHS" over near Apache Junction.) Now, if I can find a map or verify some way, I will get back on here and make any correction of my post, if need be. Your original post may very well be correct. Enjoyed the pictures. I wonder if even a block remains today. I also saw the post of some one who had lived there at some point. Sadly, for several years to current, it lies in an active corridor for illegal activities. And some avoid the area. Thanks Again for the topic ! " Old Tumbleweed "

According to my Arizona Atlas & Gazeteer, it is Big Horn. Buck Horn is west of Phoenix. Have not found any more info about Big Horn yet.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Default Big horn & area have a great arizona & transportation history on old sr 84 west

Quote Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
    According to my Arizona Atlas & Gazeteer, it is Big Horn. Buck Horn is west of Phoenix. Have not found any more info about Big Horn yet.
    So it is then--BIG HORN. Better, because years ago Big Horn sheep were even around. Had one at my house about 5 years ago.
    This is my question. Were there at one time other buildings at the site ? A place for the care takers to live or others ? I doubt they had electricity ?!? Was there a well, windmill or did they haul water ? AND who originally built it ?

NOW....I am not trying to go off topic. Back in the mid 1960s, I saw an article in either a local paper or Arizona Highways. It was pretty extensive and very interesting. I wish I had saved it. It was about an "OASIS IN THE DESERT." It was about quite a nice residence place, that was in the SAME AREA, but a little farther off the highway.--back in the desert.
    Built in ?1920-30s (or homesteaded earlier ?) --had water, tall palm trees and a 2 plus story SW style house. The picture I remember was amazing. Who knew ?

I wonder if the gas station and that place could have had any connection ? Just a thought. That is why I brought it up.
    AND what great history to find out !
    Just ol' TUMBLE WEED

Located on along Interstate 8 approximately 20 miles east of Gila Bend, AZ is the Big Horn station, an architectural reminder of the people who lived in the area now known as the Sonoran Desert National Monument. Established by the Bender family in the mid-1920s Big Horn station was the only place for travelers to stop between Casa Grande and Gila Bend on what was then Highway 84.
    The Bender family, originally from Oklahoma, settled in this part of Arizona right after World War I. They were ranchers and there was a lot of land available for people who were willing to work hard. Full of pioneer and entrepreneur spirit A. O. Bender and his son A. L. Bender diversified their business interests, but remained true to the core of their chosen occupation, ranching, and made their lives here.

A.L. Bender, Les, along with his wife Laura opened the Big Horn station and sold gas, food and other items to locals and travelers alike. In addition Les drove a fuel truck and delivered gasoline to Ajo, Casa Grande and several local ranches. During his “spare” time he worked their ranch. A.O. Bender was a full time cowboy who made sure ranching operations ran smoothly.
    Les and Laura raised their family at the Big Horn station and at their Johnson Well ranch located south in the Sand tank Mountains.
    The Bender family sold out in 1952 and moved to Prescott, Arizona.
    Today Big Horn station has been partially restored by the BLM with a grant from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Soon there will be interpretive signs highlighting the history of Big Horn station and the fine people who called it home.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Located on along Interstate 8 approximately 20 miles east of Gila Bend, AZ is the Big Horn station, an architectural reminder of the people who lived in the area now known as the Sonoran Desert National Monument. Established by the Bender family in the mid-1920s Big Horn station was the only place for travelers to stop between Casa Grande and Gila Bend on what was then Highway 84.
    The Bender family, originally from Oklahoma, settled in this part of Arizona right after World War I. They were ranchers and there was a lot of land available for people who were willing to work hard. Full of pioneer and entrepreneur spirit A. O. Bender and his son A. L. Bender diversified their business interests, but remained true to the core of their chosen occupation, ranching, and made their lives here.

A.L. Bender, Les, along with his wife Laura opened the Big Horn station and sold gas, food and other items to locals and travelers alike. In addition Les drove a fuel truck and delivered gasoline to Ajo, Casa Grande and several local ranches. During his “spare” time he worked their ranch. A.O. Bender was a full time cowboy who made sure ranching operations ran smoothly.
    Les and Laura raised their family at the Big Horn station and at their Johnson Well ranch located south in the Sand tank Mountains.
    Today Big Horn station has been partially restored by the BLM with a grant from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Soon there will be interpretive signs highlighting the history of Big Horn station and the fine people who called it home.

Pretty interesting, Jim. Muchas gracias!

Excellent photos, thanks for the info and photos.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Thread Information