Thread: Gold Hill, Nevada in the 60's.

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Gold Hill, Nevada in the 60's.

Well, I'm back after a week with no computer. It was down with another virus. This time it was a "rootkit" virus and extremely hard to remove. Had to be done manually as there were no programs that had a removal tool yet. It's a brand new virus called "skynet and is a trojan. Took the whole system down with it. As I don't have email on this computer, it had to come from a web site I clicked on but I have no idea which one. I had a very good protection program in here and it detected it but couldn't remove it. I've now put in a special "rootkit" virus removal program. Hope this works.

The old hotel pictured on here is now back in business and even has a "haunted toom" acording to Bill, the hotel owner. It also has a pretty good steak house in the back. The wife and I were there just a few months ago and it's well worth a visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

I'm amazed in how well Gold Hill has managed to weather the years. I know four sure the buildings in the first four pictures all still stand, right down to the headframe behind the shed.

The only differences would be some changes to the bank building and a patio added to the hotel, otherwise it's pretty much the same scene to this day.

The best "current" picture I have follows, I had some better shots, but I lost a lot with a hard drive crash recently.

Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

[QUOTE=dwinslow;40935]
    It's a brand new virus called "skynet and is a trojan. Took the whole system down with it.
    QUOTE]
    Hey Don, I gotta ask...was it a Terminator type, Arnie looking, T-1000 that took down your system while looking for Sarah Connor?

Great pics by the way.

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

[QUOTE=Darin;40939]
    Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    It's a brand new virus called "skynet and is a trojan. Took the whole system down with it.
    QUOTE]
    Hey Don, I gotta ask...was it a Terminator type, Arnie looking, T-1000 that took down your system while looking for Sarah Connor?

Great pics by the way.
    Man, I gotta think the Terminator would have been easier to deal with than this trojan. Boy, it was wicked.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Good stuff Don. Glad to know that those old places are open for business once again. Ghost room...gee, is there an old place that doesn't have one?...Well I would sure visit the "Steak Room"...or the Bar Room.!

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 06-28-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Good stuff Don. Glad to know that those old places are open for business once again. Ghost room...gee, is there an old place that doesn't have one?...Well I would sure visit the "Steak Room"...or the Bar Room.!

<
    The steak was good & so was the bar. It's a neat old place and I sat and had great conversation with Bill, the owner a few months ago. Didn't stay there this time as I already had a room in Virginia City.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Default Gold Hill

Great photo's! Now I'm getting hungry and thirsty. I found the following in Ghosts of the Glory Trail, by Nell Murbarger:

"Gold Hill, Storey Co., 1 m. E. Virginia City. Founded 1859 as a result of placer gold discoveries, Gold Hill ballooned in stature with the rush to the Comstock diggings in 1860, and her streets were soon flanked by a town hall, stores, lodge buildings, fire house, churches, a school, and substantial dwellings. After waning of the Comstock excitement, the town still clung grimly to life. Time took away her railroad (Virginia and Truckee); she lost her P.O. in 1943; her firehall was demolished by snow in 1951; and in 1955, the old town could muster but six residents. Extensive and picturesque ruins."

Far from fading away, she sounds to me like she is back. I want to visit.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Bummer about the PC woes. Pain in the butt really! Wish they could track these clowns and give everyone a good kick in the n uts.

You do know that you pics have so many of us drooling, don't you? Please, keep them coming!!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default Virus problems

It turns out, Microsoft is coming out with a free anti-virus program. This could be the death nell for the bad guys. Like small pox, someday, there will be no more internet-spread sickness.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    Great photo's! Now I'm getting hungry and thirsty. I found the following in Ghosts of the Glory Trail, by Nell Murbarger:

"Gold Hill, Storey Co., 1 m. E. Virginia City. Founded 1859 as a result of placer gold discoveries, Gold Hill ballooned in stature with the rush to the Comstock diggings in 1860, and her streets were soon flanked by a town hall, stores, lodge buildings, fire house, churches, a school, and substantial dwellings. After waning of the Comstock excitement, the town still clung grimly to life. Time took away her railroad (Virginia and Truckee); she lost her P.O. in 1943; her firehall was demolished by snow in 1951; and in 1955, the old town could muster but six residents. Extensive and picturesque ruins."

Far from fading away, she sounds to me like she is back. I want to visit.

NJ
    Well, she ain't dead yet. I've spent a lot of time up there. Virginia is geared toward the tourist but there is so much history that it's still worth a visit. The surrounding area is full of history and there is a ton of stuff still there. Gobs of mining equipment, head frames and mill remains. The Virginia & Truckee RR is being restored and the steam train is running with the line being restored from Virginia to Carson.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Thread Information