Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A different look at Virginia City, Nevada

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    My wife and I got married at the courthouse in Virginia City in 1990. Third marraige for both of us, so we decided to go the easy route without the hoopla of the usual weddings. This marraige has lasted.
    I'll hafta dig through my thousands of pics and see if I can bring up some of the courthouse. I have them here someplace. All I hafta do is find them.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    I'll hafta dig through my thousands of pics and see if I can bring up some of the courthouse. I have them here someplace. All I hafta do is find them.
    Easier said than done, eh?

I like the look of the mansion before restoration. That's the great charm of Bodie-- all those buildings in "arrested decay" give you the look of what an abandoned town would have looked like if you came upon it 20 or 30 years after everyone left. Don't get me wrong-- I appreciate the effort put into restoring historic buildings. It's just nice to see the "before" view.

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    Easier said than done, eh?

I like the look of the mansion before restoration. That's the great charm of Bodie-- all those buildings in "arrested decay" give you the look of what an abandoned town would have looked like if you came upon it 20 or 30 years after everyone left. Don't get me wrong-- I appreciate the effort put into restoring historic buildings. It's just nice to see the "before" view.
    That's why I'm glad that I got to a lot of these places 40-50 years ago and got to see them before the "new wave" of yuppies, hippies and other assorted individuals came in and destroyed the original look of these towns. I still enjoy going to these places but somehow it's different now. At least I got the photos when I was there.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Primarily I appreciate ghost towns that look like true ghost towns (in various states of decay after being abandoned) and restored ghost towns.

By "restored" ghost towns, I mean those that are fairly accurate in reproducing what the site looked like when it was in its heyday. I understand some modifications are necessary to make the buildings open to the public (e.g. fire code compliance). I am not keen on Disney/ Hollywood interpretations on what someone guessed an old building was supposed to have looked like. Experts who know old building and decorating techniques are key in pulling off a good restoration. There is no way of guaranteeing a restoration will be "exactly like" a building as it originally was, but there are ways of making it close enough.

I made myself unpopular with some local politicians and bureaucrats for opposing the "rebuilding" of a small castle where I lived in Japan. Someone got the notion of building a small-scale 18th century castle on a 15th century fortress/ lookout site. Not only would have building the period-incorrect model have misled visitors as to what the "castle" used to look like, but it would also have covered over the original site and made future study of the site impossible.

A bit OT but the restoration of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad between Mound House (just east of Carson City) and Virginia City is completed, and trains are now running between the two towns!

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    My wife and I got married at the courthouse in Virginia City in 1990. Third marraige for both of us, so we decided to go the easy route without the hoopla of the usual weddings. This marraige has lasted.
    Somehow I missed this post. Probably out of town. I'll have some photos later of the Courthouse. Shows the statue showing that justice is not "blind". David will know what I'm talking about.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Quote Originally Posted by josta View Post
    A bit OT but the restoration of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad between Mound House (just east of Carson City) and Virginia City is completed, and trains are now running between the two towns!
    Yup. My favorite RR. I have original paperwork, a steam guage from one of the locos, a whistle and other stuff that I've collected over the years.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    Yup. My favorite RR. I have original paperwork, a steam guage from one of the locos, a whistle and other stuff that I've collected over the years.
    OK, you've convinced me. We'll add the railroad to our upcoming trip.

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    OK, you've convinced me. We'll add the railroad to our upcoming trip.
    Easy link, I'll make sure the next time I'm in the area I take the 10 to 4 round trip. 3 1/2 hours in Virginia City sounds just right.

http://virginiatruckee.com/?page_id=5

Ack!

We ate in the first building photographed. It's now called "Cafe del Rio", and it has been extensively modified. I love the look of your picture. Alas, it looks really different now. I'll post a photo once I fire up my old PC with photo editing software on it so it won't be too big (I'll shrink it down to 800 x 600 Mp or so).

Thread Information