Thread: SCal explorers?

Default SCal explorers?

Hello,
    Im looking for other SCal desert explorers to join up with on their desert trips.
    Im not in my 20s anylonger,so Im looking more
    for low keyed ,easy as you go events . No Bonzai events etc. I have a E250/350 self contained w 4x4, and its strictly "Eazy 4 wheelin only"
    In the 60 &70's I frequented Rawhide and other N Nevada GT's ,I researched & Explored the Lassen Trail from Rabbit Hole to Vina north of Chico. Black Rock and High Rock NV too.
    I joined Trail West in mid 70's when i ran into an old rancher in Nv who thought Id be interested in joining up.
    I stopped exploring in 77 to date. I want to start up again.
    Are there any of you that head out to the SCal Mojave or Colorado desert?
    TommyGunn

Default Not in twenties?

Sounds more like fifties. I camp in the Mojave twenty weekends a year. Plenty of great places, but not all places are great. We have quite the dirt bike, motor home, toy box sprawl as you head to the popular destinations.

I camp with my dog. He's trustworthy most of the time, but then I keep him well fed, if you know what I mean.

If you are north of LA, try Red Rock canyon--El Paso Mountain area, or Panamint Valley. Lots to see there. Even up Owen's valley and the Inyo's.

South of LA and you can check out Owl Canyon, Afton Canyon, Mitchell Caverns, Anza Borrego. It all depends on how far you want to drive. My favorite spot these days is Opal Mountain. Then I drive over to Inscription Canyon to see the petroglyphs as a side trip.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 07-14-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: correction
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Default Few more shots

Lots of petroglyphs at Inscription Canyon. The view from the top is out toward the petroglyph site. The flower is an apricot mallow. One my favorites.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

7/14
    Norman,
    Nice pics.
    yeah Im 60yo for now. Started exploring GT etc early about 1956. Trail bike bought new 1963 harley Scat got me around,used a 58 hummer(harley) also
    Ive been in the area since 98. I have gotten around ,down here ,a little,but have only skimmed the surface..
    Generally ive been to some easy to get to places from Old Dale,Anza Borrego area,ElCentro area,Glamis,Blythe,bradshaw trail,Death Valley,I cant think of more areas right now,but I know theres alot more to see.
    My favorite is up the US395 from the Olancha region to about Bridge Port. Lots of mining history,nice remote lakes, etc.
    Great summer trip once you break 5000 ft.on the many side trips. I cant seem to arrange the time to go more than once a year it seems.
    I could manage San Bernadino,Riverside and Imperial counties more often.
    My wife cant get the time off to go anymore and i dont travel alone like I used to. Safety reasons etc.
    TG
    Last edited by lassen Tr. resrchr 1973; 07-14-2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: improve some structure and spelling errors

Default Inscription Canyon

NJ, "Inscription Canyon" is out at the west end of Superior Valley (west of Copper City Rd), isn't it? I was there last month, and I was surprised to see how far south the bombing range has expanded.

Default Inscription Canyon

Yes, Inscription Canyon is at the west end of the Superior Valley. To the south there are several roads that lead around to the Opal Mine side of Opal Mountain. In fact there are several mountains in the vicinity that are made of a low grade of opal.

Also in the area toward Barstow is Owl Canyon and Rainbow Basin. Owl Canyon offers an excellent hike either up the canyon itself or along the west rim.

NJ

Thread Information