Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ophir Days

Default Ophir Days

the semi ghost town ophir is having there annual ophir days on I think the 1st of august where there will be games food a free breakfast until 9am. and also my grandmother who is the head of the historical comitte has been making a small mueseum of old houses the newest is having new walls put in because the old ones where falling apart and it will be a school house

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

What state or country is this?

Default In Utah?

I thought at first this was in Colorado. They also have a semi-ghost town of Ophir. But this Ophir must be in Utah. I have been to the one in Colorado several times but not the one in Utah. The one in Colorado has some new homes built at the east end of town and that takes away some of the ghost town feel.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Default Ophir

There is an Ophir in Washoe County, Nevada on the west side of Washoe Lake that was started with the Ophir Silver Mining Co. mill in 1860 and once had 1,500 reidents.

There was also an Ophir City in Nye County, Nevada, for the mine in Ophir Canyon that operated between 1864 on and of until 1890. The mine produced $800,000. "Remaining to mark the townsite in 1953 were picturesqe stone and log buildings, and Ruins of the Murphy mill."

Both of the above are from Ghosts of the Glory Trail, by Nell Murbarger.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Default Ophir

Ophir was a region mentioned in the Bible that was supposed to have fablous wealth. It has been used for the names of many mines.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Another Ophir...

Yep, lots of Ophir's in the American west. In SE Arizona on the eastern slope of the Santa Rita Mts is Ophir gulch, where Greaterville is located.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default My Reason

My reason for saying Utah is because the person posting the first message is from Tooele, Utah which is the county that there is an Ophir in.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Now don't start using logic on us. Most of us gave up that stuff long ago.

NJ

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Actually there were two Ophir towns in Colorado. An old and a new Ophir. I have pictures of 'em both someplace. I'll hafta dig 'em out of my pile of junk here.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Oh boy, more pics from Don...I'm gonna have to stand back and do the "Happy" Dance now!!!

(Not to be mistaken as the "Pee-Pee" Dance)

Thread Information