Thread: Grantham Gold Mill

Default Grantham Gold Mill

In the southern Panamint Mountains in Warm springs Canyon is a mill that dates back to 1939. It sits at the site of the Warm Springs talc mine. There is a warm spring up a side canyon to the south a hundred yards or so that flows a steady stream of 100 degree water year-round. The Johns Manville Corporation built a swimming pool and used the spring to fill it. I swam in the pool one time about ten or eleven years ago right after the park service cleaned it out.

Below are the pictures of the mill, the talc mine entrance, and the buildings at the site. Obviously the mill was not for talc. On the mountain to the north is a fluorite mine, but it seems unlikely that the mill was for that. There was gold mining up the canyon that went on in the thirties, also by Louise Grantham at a place called Gold Hill. The mine’s name was the Panamint Treasure.

Anyway, the mill has a mechanical arrastre, a ball mill, and not pictured is a cam-type grinder (called a jaw crusher), and the mill also used a cone-type crusher, all run with belts and pulleys from a steam engine.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Here are the photo's of the mill
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

A few more shots

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

It always amazes me how much work is involved in extracting minerals. All that equipment left behind must have cost a fortune.
    On another note, I have relatives named Grantham, probably related somehow.

Thanks!

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wow! Looks like a great site!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default No Tailings

The history account I read states that the mines closed in 1941, two years after the mill was built. There are no tailings or piles of ore or slurry dumps anywhere around the mill. It may have never run more than a load or two.

NJ
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 07-21-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: corrections

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Good old NJ, the resident expert on the Panamints comes through again. Great posting.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

NJ,
    Great ruins, relics & history. Giving Don some competition here. Very nice.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information